    RichA Guest

  2. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, May 18, 2014

  3. I imagine, especially since the advent of Photoshop, that trusting a
    photograph is a thing of the past. Recently, I've seen pictures of
    eagles carrying off children and zebras chasing lions.

    James Silverton, May 18, 2014
    Viktor likes this.
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 2014-05-18 15:15:13 +0000, Tony Cooper <> said:
    :
    : > On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : >> http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...est-shakes-up-mississippi-republican-primary/
    :
    :
    : You
    : >>
    : > seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a
    : > photography issue. That's not necessarily true.
    : >
    : > The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His
    : > action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing to
    : > do with photographers.
    :
    : ...and it was probably shot with a phone.

    Let's hope so. At this point we have no way of knowing what other shoes are
    going to drop.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 18, 2014
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I thought of that, but given the blurring of the lines being produced by news organizations firing photogs and delegating the job to writers and reporters, it's not hard to imagine someone would think he was a photog as well, or at least acting as one.

    RichA, May 18, 2014
  6. RichA

    Mort Guest

    In this regard, I vividly recall seeing a photograph in a magazine,
    especially made to illustrate the topic at hand. It showed
    then-President Bush Sr., with a naked girl sitting on his lap, and
    President Abraham Lincoln standing next to him with a hand on Pres.
    Bush's shoulder. Although obviously impossible to be real, there were no
    cut edges or color or texture changes to suggest cut-and-paste. It
    illustrates how phoney pix can be made to seem realistic, and hints at
    how they can be used maliciously. The old canard that pictures don't lie
    is now itself a lie.

    Let the viewer beware.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, May 18, 2014
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

    That's way too broad.

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.

    Actually, that's still too broad.

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    better one, he's a photographer.

    Still not quite there.

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.

    (Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 18, 2014
  8. RichA

    MC Guest

    Just because I make toast in the morning, does that make me a chef?

    MC

    MC, May 18, 2014
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Did Martha happen to see you writing that? ;-p

    PeterN, May 18, 2014
  10. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he
    needs a better than his wife thinks they can afford, he's a
    photographer.

    Of course, that statement has a built-in fault. His wife thinks that
    *any* camera expenditure is more than they can afford. Whatever it
    cost could be better spent on shoes for her.

    Tony Cooper, May 18, 2014
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 5/18/2014 5:22 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    :
    :
    :
    : > (Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    : > always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)
    : >
    :
    : Did Martha happen to see you writing that? ;-p

    No, I stifled any chauvinistic tendencies entirely on my own.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 19, 2014
  12. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    : >wrote:
    : >:
[...]

    In our household it's sort of the other way around. I keep telling Martha she
    needs a new camera (a 70D, for example), but she prefers her current camera
    because it weighs less. It was one of the best of the Canon Rebel series, but
    is now several models out of date.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 19, 2014
  13. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    What if they a beard and won the eurovision song contest ?
    You'll have to ask jonas about whether or not they person with the camera taking photos is a tourist of not ;-)

    Whisky-dave, May 19, 2014
  14. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    No because chef comes from a french word basicly meaning chief of cooks.
    A chef tells other people what and how to cook things to his spec.
    You could be a chef if you're overseeing a cook that is under your command that is doing the toast.

    Whisky-dave, May 19, 2014
  15. RichA

    PAS Guest

    LOL! You have described it perfectly.

    PAS, May 19, 2014
  16. RichA

    PAS Guest

    So am I. Don't got the way of a bigot and paint everyone with a broad
    brush. What the blogger did is reprehensible but it is not a reflection on
    the group, just himself.

    PAS, May 19, 2014
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    One of the members of my CC has a wife who encourages hime ot buy
    cameras & lenses. For every dollar he uses to purchase photo equipment,
    he spends a dollar to buy her jewelry.

    PeterN, May 20, 2014
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/19/2014 10:44 AM, George Kerby wrote:

    I would be nice to have the freedom to rob banks'
    Should we abolish speed limits on all highways.
    We could save a lot of money if we didn't maintain those pesky red lights.
    I guess it should be illegal to dump mercury into drinking water.

    //end sarcasm tag>

    PeterN, May 20, 2014
  19. RichA

    Guest Guest

    that's how it used to be in montana, without mass carnage on the
    highways.

    Guest, May 20, 2014
  20. Unlimited speed was the rule on German Autobahnen but the stretches with
    that seem to decrease annually. I used to like the signs saying "Please,
    no faster than 100" (in German of course it was "Bitte, nicht schneller
    als 100" wasn't it?)

    James Silverton, May 21, 2014