Gigabyte/MotherBoard CPU Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tyler_Durden, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Tyler_Durden

    Tyler_Durden

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey I was wondering if someone could just help me with this small detail:

    I purchased an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (939) Processor yesterday, as well as a Gigabyte Motherboard (GA-K8NS Ultra 939). On the box for the motherboard it specifies; "Supports AMD Athlon 64 FX/64 Processor."

    Does this mean it will not support my new AMD 64 X2 CPU?

    I have checked the AMD website and it shows a list of recommended Motherboards for Gigabyte, and my model is not on the list, but a number of others are listed which also carry the words;"Supports AMD Athlon 64 FX/64 Processor", and yet others on the same list specify:

    "Supports AMD Athlon 64 X2/FX/64 Processor."

    My concern is that the 64 X2 seems to be a little confused as to if the motherboard needs to detail the 'X2', or if my current motherboard can run it without any mess.

    I would greatly appreaciate anyone's help in finding out before I fry my lovely new CPU.

    Cheers,

    Michael.

    Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
    Tyler_Durden, Jul 5, 2006

  2. Tyler_Durden

    Tyler_Durden

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's alright fellas, I fixed the problem. I looked at the AMD site again and it was just a matter of updating the BIOS version to operate the dual processor, which I found on the site also.

    Myybblaayvin! *professor frink voice*

    Tyler_Durden, Jul 5, 2006