Gigabyte i-Ram - anyone using with NF4 board on Win 64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Philistine, May 16, 2006.

  1. Philistine

    Philistine Guest

    I have a DFI board with the Nvidia NF4 chipset running Win 32 and Win 64 in
    dual-boot. I installed a Gigabyte i-ram ramdisk and initially had problems
    in both OS's. However, after updating the chipset drivers for Win 32, it
    works perfectly with that OS.

    The problem is with Win 64. It doesn't like the i-ram at all. It causes long
    boot up times and needs to be coaxed into getting drive letters correct.
    Once it is running, everything works if it is treated gently. It will
    tolerate Photoshop page file and windows virtual memory. But if it gets
    heavy duty work (i.e. - as the cache file for Adobe Bridge) it will crash
    the OS. When rebooted, the OS changes it from a sata drive to PIO mode,
    which is useless.

    Because the same problems were cured in Win 32 by updating the chipset
    drivers, I assume that it is a driver problem in Win 64 even though I am
    using the latest 64bit drivers provided by Nvidia. However I can't be sure
    and I would like to hear from anyone using the i-ram on an NF4 board (AMD or
    Intel) successfully.

    Greg

    Philistine, May 16, 2006

  2. Philistine

    Rick Guest

    Have you also contacted Gigabyte Tech Support to see if they have any
    recommendations?

    Rick, May 16, 2006

  3. Philistine

    Philistine Guest

    Rick

    I thought about it but decided that they would have an easy reply, given
    that it works perfectly on XP 32. I was hoping to find others using XP 64
    (small group) on a NF4 chipset motherboard (smaller group) with an i-Ram
    (ridiculously small group!!) to see if anyone was running the combination
    successfully. I thought that at least I would be able to identify whether it
    was something I was doing wrong or if there is a common problem that I could
    take to Gigabyte or Nvidia.

    Greg

    Philistine, May 16, 2006