Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 BSOD IRQ NOT LESS EQUAL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BigAl.NZ, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. BigAl.NZ

    BigAl.NZ Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Hope someone can make some suggestions here.

    Got a two year old PC here running winXP SP2. Been running fine for a
    while then one day whenever you go to turn it off or reset via
    software you get a BSOD at the very last second before you would
    expect the power off (after you go to the blue screen where windows
    says shutting down).

    Now I tested the ram all night with memtest. No problem.

    I tried it in Safe mode - same problem.

    I turned off everything in msconfig - same problem.

    Tried a new Power Supply - same problem.

    Ran Prime95 all night - no errors.

    I am thinking now its the mobo, but since this mobo is no longer
    available I would like to be sure before I buy a similar one, that the
    mobo will fix it. Anyone have any more ideas?

    The exact error is the IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL with the first parameter
    being 0x0000000A.

    Its a AMD 64bit chip - socket 939.

    Cheers

    -Al

    BigAl.NZ, Apr 12, 2007

  2. BigAl.NZ

    Ron Martell Guest

    That error is most often caused by:
    - bad device driver
    - faulty or incompatible hardware
    - faulty or incompatible software.

    What did you add/update/install/modify in any of these categories at
    or about the time this problem started?

    What are the four parameters that are shown on the error screen? The
    one you gave is the error (STOP) code? The parameter 4 value for
    this error gives the memory address that triggered the error, and it
    may be possible to trace the culprit using that, especially if it is a
    device driver at fault.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Apr 12, 2007

  3. BigAl.NZ

    Meat Plow Guest

    Bad driver or software stomping on one and an others space in memory.
    Did you install something or update a drive just prior to this error?

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 12, 2007
  4. BigAl.NZ

    Steve Guest

    Try running a live CD - knoppix or something. If that works fine, then
    you've cut it back to either a software fault or your hdd's playing up.

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 12, 2007
  5. BigAl.NZ

    BigAl.NZ Guest

    The last parameter - the memory address has been the same twice that I
    have noticed, once it was different - I guess the same memory address
    each time would suggest a driver that is getting loaded in the same
    place?

    How do I find out that is loaded in a given memory address?

    -Al

    BigAl.NZ, Apr 12, 2007
  6. BigAl.NZ

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Why are you asking Steve? Ron Martell suggested checking the memory
    address: ask HIM.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 13, 2007
  7. BigAl.NZ

    BigAl.NZ Guest

    The plot thickens - I installed a hard disk with a fresh copy of XP on
    it - it booted and restarted with out the BSOD.

    I am begining to suspect a broken XP installation....

    -Al

    BigAl.NZ, Apr 13, 2007
  8. BigAl.NZ

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in @w1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
    Cross posting turned off.
    A broken XP does happen. Just try a repair install before wiping and re-
    istalling, sometimes that is all it needs.
    I like this tool more than autopatcher now...
    http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

    Dave Taylor, Apr 13, 2007
  9. BigAl.NZ

    Ron Martell Guest

    If you installed a fresh copy of XP onto an empty hard drive installed
    in the problem computer then that indicates a hardware problem.

    If you took a hard drive with Windows XP already on it that had been
    installed on a different computer and used it in the problem computer
    then the result is meaningless as that will almost invariably fail
    with a hardware-related BSOD.

    Ron Martell, Apr 13, 2007
  10. BigAl.NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Set your IRQL to LESS or EQUAL.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 13, 2007
  11. BigAl.NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Sorry, in case that wasn't obvious, that was a bad joke.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 13, 2007
  12. BigAl.NZ

    BigAl.NZ Guest

    If a fresh install FIXES the problem, then that indicates software not
    hardware....

    -Al

    BigAl.NZ, Apr 13, 2007
  13. BigAl.NZ

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Heh - I didn't think it was so bad <g>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 13, 2007
  14. BigAl.NZ

    Ron Martell Guest

    My bad - I misread the o.p. and thought he said it "restarted with the
    BSOD" on the new install.

    Ron Martell, Apr 13, 2007