gigabit TTCP test really low?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by szalkerous, Apr 10, 2014.

  1. szalkerous

    szalkerous

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all, I was scouring the internet for information and I found this site which seems to have a lot of gurus on the subject of profiling network performance problems, so I thought I'd give this a shot:

    I have a small LAN that serves my personal and home office devices. I am managing this through a Cisco RV180 that has an on-board 4-port gigabit switch.

    Between two brand new machines - one rackmount Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 with dual gigabit Intel 82574L (on Win2k8R2), and my desktop, an Intel I7-4770K with single gigabit Intel I217-V (on Win7) I am only seeing 0.01gbit throughput using TTCP. I am using the PCATTCP version of TTCP, which I believe is a .NET console port.

    Is this to be expected? I was hoping to see something closer to true gigabit.

    Oddly enough, if I send either machine over to speedtest.net it claims to be using my full internet bandwidth (~60mbps) and has a ping of 10ms. Not sure if I trust those site numbers, but that's what I see. So knowing that, I should have seen at LEAST a 0.06gbps result.

    I'm also seeing one small anomaly in that the Win2k8 server isn't visible in the Network on Windows Explorer, even though I have broadcast turned on. If I navigate to a share on it manually it connects immediately.

    Am I using TTCP wrong? I'm not specifying any special arguments other than the flag to show the results in gigabit (-f g). I've restarted all devices.

    Any advice is mucho appreciated.

    szalkerous, Apr 10, 2014