gigabit switch, 8 port vs 5 port

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dan Irwin, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    hi,

    I've been shopping around for a gigabit switch for my house and I've
    found that i really think i need an 8 port switch. as I've been
    shopping around I've seen that you pay almost twice as much for a 8
    port switch($150) as you do for a 5 port(75$) switch. why is that? i
    found one on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...1268&item=3080057484&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT)
    that wasn't so bad, but i don't know anything about it or the brand it
    is. can someone take a peek at it and tell me what they think?

    thanks for the help,

    dan

    p.s

    i wasn't sure what board to post to and this is a catch all for all
    questions. if someone can suggest a better one and i'll post there

    Dan Irwin, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Dan Irwin

    JabberSmith Guest

    What the heck are you doing on your home network that needs a gigabit
    switch?

    Why not just get two 5's? Then you could sell one if you find you don't
    need it, or put two network segements in your house or something...

    (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51268&item=308005748

    JabberSmith, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    "JabberSmith" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > What the heck are you doing on your home network that needs a gigabit
    > switch?

    store lots on my file server

    > Why not just get two 5's? Then you could sell one if you find you don't
    > need it, or put two network segements in your house or something...

    this is olny for my office room, the rest pf tje house is on a 10/100
    switch in the wireing pannel. and i thought about buying two, but i
    was just curious if i was missing something

    Dan Irwin, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Howdy!

    > > What the heck are you doing on your home network that needs a gigabit
    > > switch?

    > store lots on my file server

    And this needs a gigabit switch why?

    "store lots on my file server" needs big hard disks.

    The Gigabit switch is to move massive amounts of data quickly.

    > > Why not just get two 5's? Then you could sell one if you find you don't
    > > need it, or put two network segements in your house or something...

    > this is olny for my office room, the rest pf tje house is on a 10/100
    > switch in the wireing pannel. and i thought about buying two, but i
    > was just curious if i was missing something

    Well, two 5's will give you 8 ports usable, so probably not.

    "Huh? 5 x 2 = 10"

    Less the interlink ports - one on each switch.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message news:<c1s5gt$1lv7fr$-berlin.de>...
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    > > "JabberSmith" <> wrote in message

    > > > What the heck are you doing on your home network that needs a gigabit
    > > > switch?

    > > store lots on my file server

    > And this needs a gigabit switch why?
    >
    > "store lots on my file server" needs big hard disks.
    >
    > The Gigabit switch is to move massive amounts of data quickly.

    and when you store a bluk of your data on a diffrent computer you need that

    > > > Why not just get two 5's? Then you could sell one if you find you don't
    > > > need it, or put two network segements in your house or something...

    > > this is olny for my office room, the rest pf tje house is on a 10/100
    > > switch in the wireing pannel. and i thought about buying two, but i
    > > was just curious if i was missing something

    > Well, two 5's will give you 8 ports usable, so probably not.
    >
    > "Huh? 5 x 2 = 10"
    >
    > Less the interlink ports - one on each switch.

    you mean uplink?

    Dan Irwin, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message

    > > "store lots on my file server" needs big hard disks.
    > >
    > > The Gigabit switch is to move massive amounts of data quickly.

    > and when you store a bluk of your data on a diffrent computer you need

    that

    And how much data is that you're moving?

    I ask because even 100BaseT doesn't flood but with VERY careful
    application of the hardware - that is, by the time the data gets to the NIC,
    you can't hardly see 10MB/sec through put total.

    And no hard disk current can run 100MByte/sec sustained ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 29, 2004