    either partition gets a virus or some problem I can restore just one
    bootable partition?

    blackbat /\x/\

    blackbat, Jun 10, 2004

  2. blackbat

    mark mandel Guest

    Yes, you can. However my experience with XP is that the restoration via the
    Ghost image ALSO requires a repair/install in order to be made bootable.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jun 11, 2004

  3. blackbat

    Robert Baer Guest

    Why bother?
    I always make an exact copy of my (internal) drive to a plug-in HD
    (use one of those removable HD kits) of the same size.
    And i have a dual boot system like you aer contemplating.
    I started with three partitions: one primary DOS, one extended DOS,
    and one Win98SE.
    Used PartitionMagic to make/create the fourth partition for NTSF, then
    installed Win2K there, and then had a dual bot system (selectable
    Win98Se or Win2K).
    WinXp should do the same nice thing for you.
    By making an exact copy of the *whole* drive (to another), thenwhen
    the HD goes bad, it takes me under 2 minutes to toss the bad one and put
    in the backup as the new master (internal) drive.
    Then i buy a replacement and continue the copy process.
    In the past 10 years, this has saved the day 3 times so far, from
    dying drives.
    And only once from virii.

    Robert Baer, Jun 11, 2004
  4. blackbat

    Robert Baer Guest

    With Win2K and WinSE, after booting on the copy, i must *FIRST* boot
    to WinSE and answer "Y" to the BIOS virus detector (ie: ignore virus).
    After that, all is OK.
    If i use DriveCopy, i never have that problem; instead, i hace to
    un-hide two of my four partitions.
    Seems that Norton must put bugs into all of their (windoz) software -
    maybe to keep up with the Gateses?

    Robert Baer, Jun 11, 2004
  5. blackbat

    blackbat Guest

    Where is this prompt??

    blackbat /\x/\

    blackbat, Jun 12, 2004
  6. blackbat

    blackbat Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I love Ghost images - can't understand why more
    people don't use 'em.

    Don't really wanna copy the whole drive as the kids have soooo many
    games on it - it's just a mess. I have a good 98SE image before any
    games are loaded. I want to stay with 98SE as some games are a bit old
    and wouldn't work on XP.

    Mainly need a ghost image of the new XP partition once I've set up all
    the broadband / MS Office etc etc etc.

    blackbat /\x/\

    blackbat, Jun 12, 2004