    appreciate the information sharing.

    Thanking you in advance
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 4, 2007

  2. up for the game

    Bill Guest

    I used Norton Ghost and copied one entire drive to the newly formatted one.
    No problems.

    Bill, Jan 4, 2007

  3. up for the game

    old man Guest

    So with this expensive software you dont have an installation cd, nor will
    they provide a means of reinstalling something you apparently paid for?

    You can try a ghost to new hardware, you will probably have to run a repair
    installation of win though.
    And if your winxp is OEM it might baulk at the new hw

    old man, Jan 4, 2007
  4. up for the game

    Pennywise Guest

    XP won't like it, and you will need to do a repair on the
    installation after you install it - XP will see it as a new system and
    consider you a pirate..
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

    Another link on the repair.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    FWIW msoobe.exe is the file you need to run to generate a wpa.dbl

    Pennywise, Jan 4, 2007
  5. up for the game

    Tony Guest

    I've never had to clone a drive to make it work with new hardware, just used
    the same HDD, once all the drivers are installed it works just fine.

    Tony, Jan 4, 2007
  6. up for the game

    Senti Guest

    Did you also replace the motherboard? I'm guessing not if you had "no
    problems". In that case you're talking tomatoes, when he's asking about
    potatoes.

    You'll have few (if any) problems putting a new hard drive (with a clone
    of the original) into the same system original hard drive came out of.
    You're using the exact same drivers and other assorted files that were
    using before you switched hard drives. When you put an old system drive
    into a new motherboard, there's no guarantee it will work properly. In
    fact it's unlikely unless the new hardware uses the exact same hardware
    as the old.

    If you want to test it out, try moving your XP system drive into a new
    computer and see if it will boot the computer. Again, I'm guessing not.

    Senti, Jan 4, 2007
  7. up for the game

    Senti Guest

    I addition to the other helpful likes, you may want to peruse this one:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

    Senti, Jan 4, 2007
  8. Thanks for the time.
    I have the installation CD, but have had insurmountable problems
    trying to install it on any other system....and the company/author is
    no longer available. The software does exactly what I need for my job
    and the computer it is now on has been deteriorating rapidly to the
    point where it is almost not usable--so a new one is in order, hence
    the post.

    I remember doing this with W98 and having nothing but problems on the
    first boot, but seemed to have better luck if the chipset/cpu were the
    same. I also remember a coworker of mine being successful with NT.
    I assume that XP will get in a huff the 1st boot but reason that the
    thing would work itself out after two or three boots and finding or
    looking for the correct drivers--as one other post mentioned.

    I am specifically looking for devices, software, or what have you to
    remove prior to using the ghosted drive on the new configuration.

    I can deal with the OEM thing here...will probably need to talk to MS
    about activation though.

    Again, Thanks for the post.
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 4, 2007
  9. Thanks for the time...

    that WPA link is a good one as is the one from michaelstevenstech.com.
    I appreciate the post.
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 4, 2007
  10. up for the game

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    You need to SYSPREP the original Windows installation before Ghosting
    it, or XP will detect the different HD ID and hang while loading.

    Alternatively go to Acronis - apparently they have a free migration
    tool designed just for this case.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Jan 4, 2007
  11. up for the game

    clot Guest

    That's worked for me (so far!)

    clot, Jan 4, 2007

  12. Thanks for the acronis tip.....I have 'spoken' with them and it looks
    like their product will do the deed....not free, but not expensive
    either.
    Again, Thanks to all for the time to respond.
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 5, 2007
  13. One more item:

    Actually, here is the chat log for my inquiry:

    " We can offer you Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/ along with Acronis
    Universal Restore
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/universal-restore.html
    add-on option.
    Acronis Universal Restore allows you to restore to different hardware
    without using the mentioned Sysprep."

    Looks to beat ghost to the job.....and no Symantec to deal with!
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 5, 2007
  14. up for the game

    Alan Bruce Guest

    It is possible to do this but unless you use an identical motherboard
    chipset you will probably get a Blue screen of death on starting up.
    THe OS when installed loads in a lot of underlying drivers to do with
    your motherboard chipset. If it does not like what it sees on booting
    (ie a new motherboard) there is every chance of a boot failure.

    There is a very high chance that if you replace the motherboard on an
    XP installation you are looking at a full re-install unfortunately.

    Alan Bruce, Jan 7, 2007
  15. up for the game

    Alan Bruce Guest

    Alan Bruce, Jan 7, 2007