Getting white right inside the camera with a broad distribution across the histogram

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ronviers, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. ronviers

    ronviers Guest

    I have placed examples here:
    http://photoviki.com/albums/userpics/10196/Blocks40mm.jpg
    and here:
    http://photoviki.com/albums/userpics/10196/Blocks40mmWB.jpg
    Or if that doesn't work you can use the gallery view here:
    http://photoviki.com/index.php?cat=10196
    and look at the similar photos named Blocks40mmx

    I am using the Canon 300d. The yellow shot is the before (as it comes
    out of the camera). After I take the shot I load it into the Canon
    'Fileviewer' utility and use the dropper tool to set the white point.
    Then I transfer the image to PS Elements v2. Then in 'Elements' I add
    a levels layer then drag the individual R G and B sliders to where the
    information begins, both on the darks side and the light side. In this
    particular case all of the information is in the middle of the
    histogram with flat areas both on the dark side and the light side.
    You can see the result. The picture is yellow before and white after.
    The blocks were painted using 'Titanium White' acrylic (very white) and
    lit using a tungsten spot with the iris stopped way way down. I have
    to close it a lot to get the crips shadows. Here are the camera
    settings:
    RAW
    ISO 100 (the Canon 300d will only go to 100)
    The shutter is open for 10 seconds
    The aperture is set to 10 to get the blocks and the shadows in focus
    The White Balance is set to tungsten. I have tried custom but it gets
    me the same yellow so I have to use the dropper to set white before the
    transfer so it is my understanding that WB does not matter. Is that
    true?

    Is there any way to get the camera to produce white inside the camera?
    Is it me or the camera? If it is the camera what needs to be better?
    Is it the ISO only going to 100 that is the problem? Is there some way
    for me to get the camera to spread the information across more of the
    histogram?

    Sorry for complicating what is probably a simple issue and thank you
    very much for looking into it.

    Ron

    ronviers, Feb 22, 2006

  2. ronviers

    Tesco News Guest

    Hi

    I don't really understand your problem, or what you are attempting to
    achieve or prove.

    I tried to look at your pictures, but don't have broadband and could not be
    bothered to wait while a whole page of stuff downloaded.

    It strikes me, that photographing white blocks and their shadows, under
    Tungsten lighting (yellow/red in colour) would not prove anything about your
    cameras colour fidelity. (If that is what you are about.)

    Using RAW to do so, only ensures that no WB correction will be applied to
    the image in camera, and you will make the correction during the conversion
    process.

    This means that a yellow image before correction and a white one after is
    pretty much what anyone would expect.

    The whole point of shooting in RAW is to ensure that inbuilt camera
    corrections are NOT applied, and making these is left to the photographers
    skill and experience at the time the conversions are being made.

    How does the camera perform when using real world subjects, with a good
    range of colours, tones and shadows of various depths?

    After, of course, you have applied that certain amount of post processing,
    which makes the difference between keen photographers and the snapshotting
    public, ( who still keep the sun over their left shoulder as instructed by
    Kodak in the 1930s)

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Feb 22, 2006