Getting the red out

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by szeik, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. szeik

    szeik Guest

    Hi,

    I just got a sony dsc-p200 digital camera for my wife. As I recently
    posted, she just wanted a small easy to use digital camera that takes
    great photos. This one seemed to fit the bill.

    What is the best way to get rid of red-eye other than physical
    solutions like having a separate flash. Someone mentioned that I
    should just find software to correct this. I know the camera came with
    some software but I haven't loaded it up yet. I'm very good on the
    computer so I am hoping this may be a good solution to the red-eye
    issue for us.

    I tried using the cameras red-eye reduction feature but I still noticed
    some red-eye in the firs few pictures we took last night which were
    indoor pictures where the flash went off.

    If I end up using a software solution, how do edit the photos and then
    get them to the store for printing?

    Thanks for any info,

    Steve

    szeik, Oct 14, 2005

  2. szeik

    Alex Guest

    Steve,

    Regardless of package, I believe most programs simply overlay a real graphic
    of an eye over the original. You usually get to select the eye colour, and
    even animal eyes as well....

    Once that it done, you are required to select an area of the picture (an
    eye) and then the size of the eye overlay, and then the application does the
    rest.

    You can even select non circular shapes and glints in some cases.

    Have a practise, a few attempts and you'l be there. Sometimes it helps to
    know what colour eyes the person has as its not always easy to tell.

    I've tried some programs that attempt to find red-eye and do the job for
    you, but the results are not always as you would hope i.e. red rims around
    the iris etc...Go manual...

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Hello Steve,

    I have also tried, unsuccessfully, to use the camera's "red eye reduction"
    mode. My camera sort of flutters the flash, and subjects think it is done
    when in fact it hasn't flashed yet. Very annoying. If you want to
    experiment, go to google and type in "Irfanview" which is a free software
    program that I use as my default .jpg viewer. It has a red eye reduction
    function. It works very simply. "Pull a square" around one of the eyes, Hit
    Image which will drop down a menu and hit "Red eye reduction". After you
    have done both eyes, drop down "file" and then save as xxxx. Simple. If
    you're just printing 4"x6" I think you will be happy. It is a LOT better
    than having the grandson with the demon eyes from hell!

    Now, as to your second question. I download all pics to my 'puter and then
    "Save as" with a new name those pics that are keepers. I used to put them on
    a compact flash card and take down to Fred Myer, Costco, I think Walmart now
    and they would print. Now I upload them to winkflash and they arrive in the
    mail. They have low rates and $.99 shipping charges no matter what size
    order. The search for the ultimate printer (label as holy grail) is over.
    Now where is that old Black laser printer??

    If you want me to send a before and after pic please email request. Pull the
    spam out of my email address. Good luck...dave

    CommanderDave, Oct 14, 2005
  4. szeik

    Dave Cohen Guest

    The red-eye reduction I use, irfanview or PhotoPlus simply replace the red
    with black. The actual eye color would only become a problem on a close up
    shot, hopefully not relying on flash. The method you suggest might be more
    than the op needs, although properly used more accurate.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 14, 2005
  5. szeik

    carver33 Guest

    Try the free and simple red eye removal software at:

    http://www.geocities.com/rederemhome/

    Copy the pictures to your computer, remove red eye and either copy
    pictures back to your camera, or better yet, burn them to a CD for
    printing.

    HTH
    Biii

    carver33, Oct 14, 2005
  6. szeik

    Alan Meyer Guest

    I just tried this. It looked terrible to me.

    Other software that I've used allows you to select a region using
    a circle or ellipse, but with Irfanview, you have to select a
    square. Since none of the people that I've photographed have
    square eyes, the Irfanview solution often changed other parts of
    the image, e.g., bits of the eyelids, making the eyes look pretty
    bad - though it did get the red out.

    I used to use Photosuite that had a dead simple redeye reducer,
    but I gave up that program when they took a fairly simple
    user interface and turned it into a downright dumb interface
    in the next version (transition happened from 4 to 5, I haven't
    tried later versions because Roxio screwed me out of a rebate
    and I won't do business with them anymore.)

    Now I use the GIMP.

    There's a learning curve to the GIMP, but it is totally free
    and has excellent power. For redeye reduction you use the
    elliptical selection tool and then alter the colors as you please.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Oct 15, 2005
  7. I guess this discussion is mainly about cameras that have a built-in
    flash. If that is the case, try shooting with a small piece of white
    card that you can hold at roughly 45 degrees just below your flash and
    bounce the flash off the ceiling. Even a piece of cotton fabric (white)
    loosely over the flash can soften enough to avoid red eye when there is
    no ceiling available as a reflector.

    usual suspect, Oct 15, 2005
  8. szeik

    Cathy Guest

    I tried Irfanview for red eye not long ago and it looked terrible to me
    too. Yet, I've used Irfanview for years and I think its good, but not
    for red eye. My opinion anyway.
    Thats what I found too. The red eye tool is not focussed close enough or
    something. I had a few pictures with red eye with indoor flash. I had
    much better luck with getting red eye out with
    Photoshop Album 3.0, which I downloaded from the web. It does only basic
    things such as red eye and cropping, but these were the two I wanted for
    now. I found the red eye tool in PSA 3.0 to be much easier and better
    than Irfanview. I was quite satisfied with the results. The free starter
    kit gives you two weeks or something to try and then asks you to
    register but its still free indefinitely
    so for now, thats all I need.
    I tried Gimp, but found it too hard to learn and got too frustrated.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Oct 15, 2005
  9. szeik

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I love Irfanview, and have been using it from the very first release.
    It does a great job of almost everything it does, but red-eye reduction
    is NOT its best feature. It leaves a thin line of red around the iris,
    and won't handle the darker red tones at all. Like most automatic
    red-eye elimination schemes, it fails in some cases. It is a fair
    start, but in most cases, good red-eye elimination is a manual
    pixel-editing operation. The results are worth the effort.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 15, 2005
  10. szeik

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Alan,
    Let me get this straight. You found a program with a worse user
    interface that GIMP? Amazing!

    Ron Hunter, Oct 15, 2005
  11. szeik

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Interesting program. Probably not perfect, but certainly is easy to use.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 15, 2005
  12. You might want to try Paint Shop Pro as well. I can do a reasonable job.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 15, 2005
  13. szeik

    Aad Guest

    The most easy way is to explain your models the pre-flash procedure and ask
    them to look straight into the pre-flash light. That is the only way.
    Aad

    Aad, Oct 15, 2005