    for no charge they made the decision to skip out on a wedding photographer
    and use me for free (and I emphasize as a favor). Can they actually sue me?
    This is worrysome since I never had legal issues in my life.

    Ron, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Ron

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I can only wonder just what they intend to sue you FOR? Breach of
    contract? Tough without a contract. They didn't get what they paid
    for? Hmmm... Of course I'm sure you've already offered to return to
    them all that they paid you :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Indeed. Also, I think he should change that beginning to "a former
    friend of mine..."

    Any chance we can see the pics? Does the bride have a bun in the oven?
    Hard to cover that up.

    Brian C. Baird, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Ron

    Doug Kanter Guest

    Oooh.....you're evil! I like it! :)

    Doug Kanter, Jul 23, 2004
  5. I think you should sue them for the cost of all materials.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Ron

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Sounds like your former friend has an innovative plan to
    solve his short of money problem.

    Tell him to give you back any copies he may have; that you'll
    fix them up for him.

    As soon as you have them all in hand, decide that you don't
    like them either; destroy 'em all.

    With friends like that you don't need enemies :)

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Ron

    Robertwgross Guest

    It depends on the laws where you are located. People can _try_ to sue you for
    anything, but in a case like this, they couldn't possibly prevail.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Evil is as evil does.

    Brian C. Baird, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Ron

    PTRAVEL Guest

    There are doctrines called equitable estoppel and promissory estoppel, both
    of which use reliance in place of consideration (technically, equitable
    estoppel is not a contract doctrine; promissory estoppel is). There might
    even be a _technical_ basis for a fraud claim.

    This is, however, a technical legal analysis, and not an opinion as to the
    merit of a suit brought against this photographer by his so-called friend.

    PTRAVEL, Jul 23, 2004
  10. Ron

    Zebedee Guest

    1. Tell your ex-friend to get knotted.
    2. Ignore everything he or she says/does.
    3. If you get summonsed, arrive tidily dressed and present the case that no
    contract was entered into and hence no liability can be assumed.
    4. When you win the case (which you will), counter-sue them if they have any
    money and get everything you can. You can sue them for malicious
    prosecution.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 23, 2004
  11. Ron

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Rule Number One, the most important rule for anyone who does photography at
    any level: Never, ever, for any reason, under any circumstance, shoot a friend
    or family member's wedding.

    The excuse I use is simple: "I want to be at your wedding, not work at it."
    Positive, complimentary, and usually works.

    Jeremy Nixon, Jul 23, 2004
  12. Ron

    BG250 Guest

    It was a favor. There is such a thing as a verbal agreement but no money
    changed hands. What can he sue you for?

    Now I'm wondering if I can sue a troll...

    BG250, Jul 23, 2004
  13. And remember a contract generally requires an exchange of value (money)
    If they didn't pay you no contract no responsibility on your part
    (generally) It would get laughed out of almost any court.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 23, 2004
  14. No good deed goes unpunished.

    Charles Schuler, Jul 23, 2004
  15. Ron

    Doug Kanter Guest

    Considering the tripe people watch on television courtroom shows, there's a
    market for this kind of thing. :) Or, perhaps the Jerry Springer show.

    Doug Kanter, Jul 23, 2004
  16. Just deny you were even there - if you were taking the photos, you won't be
    in any of them!

    Gareth Tuckwell, Jul 23, 2004
  17. Ron

    Frank ess Guest

    Still waiting for someone to ask:

    "How bad must they be that the subjects didn't like even one?"

    Hard to believe.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jul 23, 2004
  18. Ron

    Don Forsling Guest

    There is no contract but not because no money changed hands. There is no
    contract because there is none of what is called "consideration" given by
    the guy who got married. Both sides to a contract have to "give" something
    before there is a contract. That is what in the legal world is called
    "consideration. The photographer agreed to take the pictures
    ("consideration" on his part). The guy who got married didn't agree to give
    anything (zip consideration on his part). No contract between these parties
    was ever made. Ignore the guy's threats...

    Don Forsling, Jul 23, 2004
  19. Ron

    Sabineellen Guest

    Yeah I'm wondering if this is for real or just a troll. But someone the other
    day posted a similar thing about being sued due to wedding photography

    http://tinyurl.com/6lddr

    If you actually search newsgroups you'll see that it happens, and not
    uncommonly. The thing is, I'm sure someone who's committed to photography
    enough to own a 1Dmk2 would know at least the basics of how to take good
    photographs. They probably are decent photographs, photographically, but I
    suspect the bride is furious that he didn't make her look like Estella Warren
    and the groom is disappointed that he doesn't look like Brad Pitt.

    Sabineellen, Jul 23, 2004
  20. Ron

    Paul H. Guest

    Perhaps you can deflect his anger in another direction by telling him, "I
    took a close look at the photos I shot of you and your bride and the images
    are certainly true-to-life. After you remove all the mirrors from your
    house, maybe you two should think about suing God. Or your parents. And
    try not to look at each other while eating or you'll wind up suing each
    other."

    Paul H., Jul 23, 2004