    that just fine.. but it still doesn't get rid of the slow search
    functionality.

    You guys rock!

    Bob Johnson, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Bob Johnson

    Unk Guest

    Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C:)
    Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under "Files and
    Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"

    Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and folders"
    Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
    check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click "Apply", "OK"

    Improve Windows XP's search facility
    http://www.thirdstar.net/beeline/Improve_XP_Search.htm

    Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309173

    HOW TO: Configure the Search Companion in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307980

    That damn search assistant...

    Disable Search Assistant (Line 15, Right Column)

    Old Style Search Engine On/Off (Line 49, Left Column)

    Or...
    Use TweakUI, Explorer section to set Classic Search:

    A file that is required to run Search Companion....
    Search Companion Error dialog - Yellow Exclamation Point
    Can't Find Files, Containing text........
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Bob Johnson

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Great! thanks for all the cool links and stuff to read.. I'll check it
    out! My rating still stands strong! You guys rock! :)

    .... and now I will proclaim my political agenda.... GO BUSH!!!!! ....
    kerry sucks...

    Bob Johnson, Nov 14, 2004
  5. That sounds profound.

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Bob Johnson

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome again. :)

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Wow! I was searching for a registry entry high and low... I thought
    way too hard on this one.. all I had to do was change my preferences a
    little... (this is where I turn into an ass like on the old cartoons)

    You da man Unk.

    Bob Johnson, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Bob Johnson

    sethra Guest

    Forget the XP search function. It's junk.

    Agent Ransack is freeware, faster, and easier to use:

    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

    sethra, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Works fine for my purposes. I don't need to install anything else to
    make my puter unstable.

    Bob Johnson, Nov 15, 2004