    SS Guest

    What is the best method/software to get rid of purple fringing on some of my
    photos?

    SS, Dec 1, 2005

  2. SS

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Found this on the net a while back, works on any program with the
    right tools (paintshop, photoshop etc)

    "Hue/Saturation/Lightness (HSL) tool. For details see the May 2003
    Graphics column (available online here), which covered some of the
    hidden tricks of this under-used feature.

    Instructions for using HSL to remove purple fringing will vary
    slightly between programs, but they all follow the same basic process.
    Start by loading up your affected image. Now go to the HSL tool. In
    Photoshop, select Image-Adjustments-Hue/Saturation… In Photoshop
    Elements 2, select Enhance-Adjust Color-Hue Saturation… and in Paint
    Shop Pro 8 Adjust-Hue & Saturation-Hue/Saturation/Lightness.

    Here is the important step: click the blue channel. Do not adjust the
    master channel. Now adjust the saturation slider to around 80 per cent
    (you can fine-tune this later).

    If you are using Paint Shop Pro 8, move the colour wheel slowly around
    and watch the preview window. When you hit the right spot, the purple
    will vanish. Fine-tune the slider for maximum effect and click OK. If
    there are still traces of purple, repeat the process until you find
    the other tone.

    The Adobe products take guesswork out of the HSL adjustment step. When
    the blue channel is selected, the eye dropper tool will become
    available. Click the eyedropper on the left and use it to sample the
    purple fringe in your image. You can use the colour slider at the
    bottom to make finer adjustments (tip: you can also use the + and -
    keys to zoom in and out of the image while the HSL window is still
    open).

    Finally, you may find the image needs some minor tinkering and will
    probably appear a little washed out. Making fine adjustments to the
    Brightness/Contrast or Levels settings will correct these problems"

    Paul Heslop, Dec 1, 2005

  3. I don't know about "best", but Paint Shop Pro 9 and 10 have the function
    built-in. Look for Chromatic Aberration Removal (I prefer to think of it
    as Chromatic Aberration Reduction).

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 1, 2005
  4. SS

    SteveB Guest

    PSP9 works amazingly well at removing CA. What I like is being able to
    'teach' the software what shade of purple (or green/ red whatever) your
    camera typically adds to the mix, and only remove hues near to it that are
    also less than a definable number of pixels wide. This means that big areas
    of (real) purple don't get desaturated along with the purple fringing.

    SteveB, Dec 1, 2005
  5. SS

    salgud Guest

    Replace those purple drapes with orange ones, and take the picture
    again.

    salgud, Dec 1, 2005
  6. SS

    g n p Guest

    TurboPhoto

    www.stepok.com/eng/index.htm

    "Remove Purple Fringing" does an edge extraction first and THEN eliminates
    the purple at the edges, NOT the whole picture. Clean, crisp results.

    g n p, Dec 1, 2005