    these ads from moving.
    Is there anything available that will work?

    John

    jbclem1, Oct 10, 2004

  2. jbclem1

    DC Guest

    http://www.mozilla.org

    DC, Oct 10, 2004

  3. jbclem1

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 10, 2004
  4. jbclem1

    jbclem1 Guest

    Forgot to mention I was using IE 6. I'll take a look at SlimBrowser, that's for the
    ideas.

    John

    jbclem1, Oct 10, 2004
  5. jbclem1

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, jbclem1 mused:

    | Is there anything available that will work?

    I combed through www.latimes.com with my ad blocker turned off ... and I
    didn't run into any of ads like you describe. Is there a particular article
    you could post a link for that has them?

    mhicaoidh, Oct 10, 2004
  6. jbclem1

    why? Guest

    Are they Java / JavaScript ads? If you look at the page code you can
    figure it out and know what to block.

    A proxy server , by blocking ad urls? Maybe something like Outpost
    Firewall which has ad / active content blocking.

    Me

    why?, Oct 10, 2004
  7. jbclem1

    jbclem1 Guest

    jbclem1, Oct 10, 2004
  8. jbclem1

    jbclem1 Guest

    I don't know how to find the page code. When I put the cursor over the moeable ad, the
    ad changes to a fixed a with some animation. There is no change in the address line,
    nothing in the status line at the bottom of the screen. I can check the properties of
    the fixed ad, it used Hypertext Transfer Protocol, and the URL address indicates it's a
    ..gif file. But this is for the fixed ad, there aren't any clues, that I can see, about
    the moveable ad. I'm using IE 6.

    John

    jbclem1, Oct 10, 2004
  9. jbclem1

    why? Guest

    why?, Oct 10, 2004
  10. jbclem1

    why? Guest

    Although it's registered users only, and the can't access this page
    doesn't appear to have a moving ad. SO the page you gave the URL for is
    not accessable. That's lowering security on Mozill / IE and turning off
    ad blocking or FW for 15 seconds.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 10, 2004
  11. Stop reading the Los Angeles Times

    Franz

    Franz Heymann, Oct 10, 2004
  12. jbclem1

    Eli Aran Guest

    I would suggest spywareblaster,
    where you have the option to block flash advertisments.
    click on TOOLS and then click on FLASH KILLER.
    then at the bottom click |=| DISABLE AND LOCK MACROMEDIA FLASH...
    i never tried it myself but tell me if it helped you.

    Eli Aran, Oct 10, 2004
  13. jbclem1

    sethra Guest

    Two options:

    Easiest:
    Use a HOSTS file to block the adserver IPs.

    More difficult, but better:
    Use an HTTP proxy such as The Proxomitron or Privoxy and filter the
    ActiveX/javascript causing the ads. I use The Proxomitron, and it has
    some robust built-in filters, several support pages with downloadable
    filter sets, and a support forum. I haven't used Privoxy, but have heard
    good things about it.

    Aside:
    It is strongly recommended that you ditch IE and use a more secure
    browser such as Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera. Both solutions listed above
    will work with any browser also.

    Links:
    HOSTS
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/hosts.html

    The Proxomitron
    http://proxomitron.info/index.html
    http://duke.usask.ca/~macphed/prox/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~vsetten/prox/

    Privoxy
    http://www.privoxy.org/

    HTH,

    sethra, Oct 11, 2004
  14. jbclem1

    http://www.latimes.com/classified/realestate/hotprop/la-re-hotprop10oct10,1,7343877.stor
    | y?coll=la-home-realestate

    Hmm, I went to the page, but no moving ad. I disabled Ad-Shield (the
    blocker I use), and still nothing. On the right side, I have an ad for
    Cars.com, Pardee Homes, and Career Education ... none of which move when I
    scroll down the article. I wonder if a simple browser setting is different
    which is blocking the moving ad ...

    mhicaoidh, Oct 11, 2004