Getting ready to purchase Kodak DX6490 - Have a few questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sewerrat, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. sewerrat

    sewerrat Guest

    I've decided to purchase this camera and have been googling for 5-6
    hours trying to find one on-line shop that has all the items I want:
    1. Camera
    2. 256mb SD Card
    3. Lens adapter
    4. Extra Battery
    5. Travel Charger

    If anyone can recommend a place, it would be appreciated. Has anyone
    dealt with buy.com? What about digitaldelivered.com? Buy.com has most
    of what I want at a good price but I can't find the extra battery or
    charger on their site. Plus, the lens adapter is a 1-2 week wait.

    The digitaldelivered.com site has a good deal on the camera along with
    the camera dock for $359. Their accessories are high in my opinion
    though.

    At this point, it looks like I will have to buy from a couple places
    to get what I want. I have to buy from the net as I am in a very rural
    area of eastern NC. The closest mall is over an hour away and even
    then, it's a small one.

    What is the availability of the batteries for this camera? I've not
    found too many places that have them. Should I be concerned about
    possibly not being able to get batteries for the camera down the road
    a couple of years?

    Thanks for your time and any assistance you can offer.

    Stan aka sewerrat

    sewerrat, Jun 24, 2004

  2. I just bought a DX6490 used from www.ebay about a wek ago for my daughter.
    I got the lens attachment from www.buy.com . They are a good company and I
    have bought several things from them. I got a Kodak battery off Ebay for
    $19 including shipping. You can get the travel charger for about $25 plus
    shipping from Ebay. I also got two 256MB cards from www.buy.com . Seems
    like Kingston and Viking had $15 and $20 rebates through the end of the
    month. You will also neeed something like a UV filter (55mm).

    Try this for a refurb with full warranty http://tinyurl.com/2jz6a

    Put your email address on the notify list and they will let you know when
    more arrive. Use GEEK6490 in the code section and they will take $50 off,
    so the price is $299 with dock.

    Cathy De Viney, Jun 24, 2004

  3. sewerrat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The price will, of course, be list, but I would suggest that Kodak will
    happily sell you all the items.
    The camera is quite popular so getting a battery in a couple of years
    shouldn't be a problem. A couple of decades, maybe...

    Ron Hunter, Jun 24, 2004
  4. sewerrat

    hfs2 Guest

    The battery is hard to find and given you will not know the remaining
    energy in your battery, you will have to carry a spare. It you're a
    recreation user you'll have to remember - there aint no charged up
    batteries in the local drugstore. (Long live the AA! :)

    Also. By a 512 card. You don't want to take out your card unless you
    plan on carrying a camera bag all the time. These things are really
    small.

    hfs2, Jun 25, 2004
  5. sewerrat

    sewerrat Guest

    Yes, I found that out after much time spent searching.
    I placed my order today for everything except the memory. I'm buying
    the memory from newegg.com once we get our phone number into their
    system. I'd ordered from them before but went to update our info with
    our new phone number. That mixed things up as our credit card company
    still had our old number. It should be cleared up tomorrow. They have
    256mb SD cards from Kingston for $49 but with a $20 rebate per card.
    I'm getting 2 of them which will give me the 512mb total.

    I ordered the camera, the lens adapter, & a spare battery from
    buydig.com. The salesman was very helpful. He did try to offer more
    accessories but was not pushy in any way when I told him I didn't need
    them.

    I already have a UV filter from my 35mm SLR outfit plus 2 Sunpak
    flashes and a close-up lense. About the only thing else I will need is
    a flash sync cord with hotshoe cable. I'm waiting to order that once I
    see if I need a male or female connector.

    I've always purchased Canon equipment before this but wanted the 10x
    zoom as well as 4MP. Not having image stabilization is not a big thing
    for me as I have 3 bogen tripods already that I've used for years. I
    hope I will be happy with my decision.

    Thanks for the input!

    Stan aka sewerrat

    sewerrat, Jun 25, 2004
  6. sewerrat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, the ARE small, and a bit hard to find if dropped, but I haven't had
    any problem with just dropping one in my pocket to retrieve later.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2004
  7. sewerrat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The 256meg cards should do the job. I got nearly 300 shots on one with
    my DX6440 on Alaskan cruise last month.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2004
  8. sewerrat

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Re: Getting ready to purchase Kodak DX6490 - Have a few questions

    You'll love the 6490. Great camera.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jun 25, 2004
  9. sewerrat

    hfs2 Guest

    Perhaps, but as a man of action I find they float out of my
    pocket as I leap across crevices. :)

    hfs2, Jun 25, 2004
  10. sewerrat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have found that I can safely put one or two in my wallet where credit
    cards go.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 26, 2004