Getting Past Opening Screen: Can't Now After Running msconfig ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 6, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Trying to help my son out with his 5 year old Dell PC running XP.
    Not in area, so all by phone.
    PC worked O.K. but is quite slow, so I had him do a RUN \ msconfig and
    Un-Click the following items:

    From the Startup Tab:

    - Adobe Reader
    - Microsoft Office
    - Camio Viewer
    - Epson Stylus

    and from the Services Tab:

    - Cryptographic Services
    - Epson Printer Status
    - Error Reporting Service
    - Event Log
    - Security Accounts Manager

    Well, I guess the saying that says if it ain't broke don't fix it sure
    applies to this.

    He can't, now, get past the initial opening Start screen where it asks you
    to select the User from the opening screen.
    Clicking on the User name icon kicks him off with a saying that XP is
    savings his settings.
    Can't get past this, or get to Safe Mode, or a Restore point.

    He called Dell, and they worked with him for a while, but finally gave up.

    Can't imagine what got screwed up by disabling the items I've listed above.
    They all seem so innocuous and not needed.

    Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jan 6, 2009

  2. Robert11

    dog snot Guest

    Robert11 gnarled:
    Restart and keep pressing f8 until you are presented with start menu options
    then select last known good.

    dog snot, Jan 6, 2009