getting ios for cisco 831 from another router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by cadbury, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. cadbury

    cadbury

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all,

    here is my problem :
    i have one cisco 831, i made a mistake and "erase flash"
    all i get now is a rommon prompt
    i figured out (to late) i erased the IOS

    but i have several other cisco 831.

    my question is :
    can I, and how, get the ios image from another cisco 831 and put it back in the first one.

    (sorry for the style and my english, i'm french)

    cadbury, Sep 5, 2006

  2. cadbury

    cristi27

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ok..
    You should do this:
    - turn on one of the other 831 routers (let's name it Router "B" (backup :) ) )
    - connect to Router B console with a serial console cable
    - connect your computer (with a straight cable) to one of the 2 Eth interfaces of the Router B (you can choose Eth1, it's the single Eth port near console port (to the right - watching the router from behind)
    - set an IP on the Router B's interface (Eth1), let's say 172.16.1.1/24
    - set 172.16.1.2/24 on your computer's network interface.
    - on your computer run a TFTP Server program (like SolarWinds for ex)
    - on Router B type this:
    copy flash: tftp: [enter]
    and you will be prompted to choose the Router Image as a source file, then you must specify the IP for the TFTP server (172.16.1.2), and then the destination file name (default is the same name as the source file). After that the router B will copy the ios image to the tftp server (on your computer you will have a folder named "TFTP-Root" or something like that, when you will have the ios file copied from Router B (ex for 831 ios file : c831-k9o3y6-mz.123-2.XE4.bin).
    Now that you have the IOS file, you must copy it to your 831 router that need it :), so:
    - disconnect the Router B
    - connect the 831 Router (the one with the "problem" :) ).
    - follow the steps mentioned here:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a0080118d19.html
    Good luck

    cristi27, Sep 6, 2006

  3. cadbury

    cadbury

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    it worked perfectly after a little workaround
    i first tried xmodem but it is really REALLY slow :)

    thanks

    cadbury, Sep 6, 2006