    should be on the lookout for/avoid?

    Thanks, all.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Be aware that some record to +R media, whereas others use -R DVDs.
    Only a few will record to both (but most new recorders will read
    both). Also, I believe it's much more convenient to have an internal
    hard drive, of at least 80 MB. There are many opinions on different
    beands, but the most recorder for your money seems top me to be the
    Lite-on (or the Ilo as branded for Wal-mart). The Panasonic and Sony
    are better known, but much more expensive. Any one you choose will
    allow you to select a recording speed/quality level. Better video is
    obtained with "fast" recording speed (less minutes video recorded per
    DVD). Most allow selecting between 1 hr per std DVD and 6 hrs per DVD.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jul 29, 2005

  3. What does this mean and which is preferred and why?

    John the newbie...remembering with fondness the old days when the only
    choice was VHS or...VHS (couldn't afford Beta).

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 29, 2005
  4. The Man Behind The Curtain

    gaffo Guest

    I bought the ILO last november - works fine so far.

    the one without the hard-drive. works just like a VCR. It will not
    playback - media however.

    I have the 20-buck Desay DVD player for that.

    truth be known - i rarely use the the ILO (it cost 150-bucks). I use the
    Desay, it is more user friedly cost 20-bucks plays both - and + media
    and supports Component connections and Progressive scan.

    and I just bought a Optoma H31 (front projection DLP). That 20-buck
    Desay looks at good as that 150 ILO!!

    --

    The jury has the power to bring a verdict in the teeth of both the law
    and the facts.

    Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Horning v. District of Columbia, 1920

    gaffo, Jul 30, 2005
  5. The Man Behind The Curtain

    gaffo Guest

    basically ther are two DVD recordable disc formats. the DVD-R (it came
    out first about 5-yrs ago) and the DVD+R (it came out 2-yrs ago).

    Newer DVD recoders use + media. The + media has a few advantages which
    the - does not. Namely Multisession support.

    Origianlly all PC-based DVD-roms used + media........though they now
    support - media too.

    ..........................- is fading away, and it looks like the + media
    will eventually be the only type left. Though this is not really
    reilvant since MOST dvd-players will support both types.

    NOTE - I have the ILO and it DOES NOT support the - media.

    --

    It is presumed, that juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the
    other hand,presumed that courts are the best judges of law. But still

    Chief Justice John Jay, Georgia v. Brailsford, 1794

    gaffo, Jul 30, 2005
  6. Some people argue the merits of one over the other. I primarily use +
    media because my ILO will record to + media only. But I've used -
    media on my computer DVD writer, and the ILO will play back that media
    fine also. "Most" new recorders will read either, although many people
    find one works better. I don't think the media type should dictate
    your choice of a recorder.... Go with the recorder you prefer and use
    the media that that recorder uses.

    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jul 30, 2005
  7. I don't have the information to either support these statements or
    contradict them.....
    I find this very doubtful, based on the number of name-brand recorders
    that record only to - media.
    but... I have the ILO DVDRHD04 and it DOES play back the - media, but
    only writes to + media.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jul 30, 2005
  8. My ILO DVDRHD04 certainly DOES play back - media. I think it likely
    that the non-hard drive model should also. Have you updated your
    firmware? There have been two updates released since I bought my unit
    just a few months ago.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jul 30, 2005
  9. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Galley Guest

    The Sony will record to all four formats.

    Galley, Jul 30, 2005
  10. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Tardis Guest

    Hopefully a helpful and related question. I have DVD+ recorder/player
    (APEx), I have tried to rip/copy the video to my computer harddrive
    but get the message: E:\is not accessible.

    The disk plays in the Recorder/player but not on computer.
    I also found that it doesn't play in my other DVD player.

    Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong.

    Tardis, Jul 30, 2005
  11. Do you have a DVD drive in your computer that supports +R media? Does
    your "other" DVD player support +R media? Has the DVD been
    "finalized"? If a DVD +R is recorded in a DVD recorder, it will play
    back on THAT recorder without being finalized, but to make it
    compatible with other players, it must be finalized.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jul 30, 2005
  12. Charlie Hoffpauir, Jul 30, 2005
  13. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Guest Guest

    I bought the Lite-On 5045 a month ago. It has everything except DVD-RAM; it
    even has a 160GB hard drive, and the price was right at Costco--$300. But I
    returned it. There were just too many things wrong with it, big things and
    little niggling things, but so many that it just turned out to be unusable.

    The worst problems were: Can't watch a DVD while the hard drive is working,
    tuner has marginal noise performance, remote control doesn't work well.
    Ergonomics are terrible. I'm an engineer, but after 2 weeks of study, I
    still had trouble getting the results I wanted. Front panel display is
    useless unless you're about 6 inches away; it was even difficult to tell
    from a few feet away whether the unit was recording.

    None of these were deal breakers, but added together they spelled "not ready
    for primetime." My guess is that Lite-On is on the right track. They
    simply have to improve their execution, then I'll go back and buy it again.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005
  14. The Man Behind The Curtain

    gaffo Guest

    charlies post is a good one - about the finalizing of the DVD.

    also not that these first generation DVD recorders all tend to be pretty
    buggy and NOT very compatable with other DVD players.

    My ILO recordings will playback on my PC-DVD-rom, but they are both
    Lite-On units.

    My ILO recodings work on my Desay also. BUT I've seen posts from other
    folks who ahve ILO based recordings with will not playback on Cyberhome
    DVD players............etc............

    There seem to be compatability problems with BOTH the brands of the DVD
    media used and the brands of the DVD players used.

    It the old CDr incompatablilty bullshit all over again!!!!!......it
    will take another 5-yrs to get reliable compatability IMO.

    - let alone data integrity!!!!!!!! - my CDrs of 5-10 yrs ago are
    starting to get "holes" in them and going bad!!

    100 lifespan my arse!

    one out of 30 or so have gone bad. I hear DVDRs are the same way ;-(.

    I suggest you make TWO copies of everything you wish to keep.

    good luck

    gaffo, Jul 31, 2005
  15. The Man Behind The Curtain

    gaffo Guest

    no I have not. that would prabably fix it thanks!...........it is a
    little risky though.

    ALSO the - media I have is the Chinese crap TenTech??? or some such. Its
    compatabiltiy is the lowest of all brands (I bought 200 of them for 60
    bucks so cheap).

    It could be my brand of media that is the problem.

    CompUSA had 100-pack of +R media for 40 bucks a few months ago. I use
    that now and the blank -R's are just sitting in a corner for now.

    do you have a handy URL for the ILO units?

    --

    It is not only [the juror's] right, but his duty...to find the verdict
    according to his own best understanding, judgment, and conscience,

    John Adams, 1771

    gaffo, Jul 31, 2005
  16. ILO's web site is http://www.ilohelp.com/

    however, there's a "better" update firmware posted at
    http://ncc2315.com/ilo/

    This update is not official, but it makes a couple of improvements to
    your recorder, giving you a 3-hour recording mode, and making your
    recorder "region free". There's also a really good explanation about
    firmware flashing that you should read.

    BTW, I often get Ritek or Verbatim (made by Ritek) 8X DVD+R in 100
    stacks for about $30 on sale, after rebate. Just watch BUY.COM and
    NEWEGG.COM for sales. I've now burned about 160 of these and never had
    a problem. The ILO likes them, and they also work fine in my Lite-on
    DVD burner on my computer.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jul 31, 2005
  17. The Man Behind The Curtain

    gaffo Guest

    thank you Sir! - I shall read up on this!!

    --

    If the jury feels the law is unjust, we recognize the undisputed power
    of the jury to acquit, even if its verdict is contrary to the law as

    4th Circuit Court of Appeals, United States v. Moylan, 1969

    gaffo, Aug 3, 2005
  18. Ritek/Ridata is made by Ritek, Verbatim is made by Mitsubishi
    Chemicals (MCC) which has no technical or financial connection with
    Ritek. Often one will work better than the other in certain machines.
    In order of quality the consensus seems to be Taiyo Yuden first, then
    MCC,then Ritek, with Princo being the worst.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12195

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 3, 2005
  19. On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 07:26:05 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"

    Verbatim brands some media made by MCC, some by Ritek, some by CMC and
    some by others. My particular ones are made by Ritek. see
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.p...&hits=25&country=&search=Search+or+List+Media

    FWIW, I tend to agree with your order of best to worse, but as I said,
    the Ritek seem to work fine for me.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Aug 3, 2005