Getting 404 error when trying to run web site.

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by pbd22, May 5, 2009.

  1. pbd22

    pbd22 Guest

    Hi.

    I keep getting 404 returned when trying to run two web sites. Can
    anybody help?

    The two web sites are:

    www.mydomain.com

    and a subdomain

    subdomain.mydomain.com

    I have them set up at network solutions. using a static IP
    pointing to the same IP address.

    my router looks for the names and points towards the local IP:

    www.mydomain.com 192.168.100.10:80
    subdomain.mydomain.com 192.168.100.11:81

    both NICS for *.*.*.10 and *.*.*.11 are on the same 2003 box.

    In IIS (6) I have both sites running and have configured and
    associated the correct IPs with teh correct sites in the Web Sites tab
    of the properties dialog. I have also pointed to port 80 and 81 as
    defined in the router. DHCP is assigning the IP addresses dynamically
    and both NICS are pointing to the router for DNS.

    Does any of the above sound wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

    pbd22, May 5, 2009

  2. No, but if you are trying to hit your sites using their internet addresses
    from inside your LAN (where the sites are hosted), that could be what's
    wrong. Many cheap routers (and even many expensive ones) could not handle
    that, and on some that can, you might need to enable a setting in the router
    configuration.

    Johnnie Leung, May 5, 2009

  3. pbd22

    pbd22 Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes, I was thinking about that when I was testing.

    My router, indeed, is cheap D-Link (DI-604) and does not have such a
    feature
    that I am aware of. I was wondering if there might be a service out
    there that
    allows something like remote desktop (from everybody) so I could test
    my
    network/site remotely?

    Thanks again.

    pbd22, May 5, 2009
  4. Don't know of anything like that, but if you just want to test websites, try
    using a web proxy such as anonymouse.org.

    Johnnie Leung, May 5, 2009
  5. pbd22

    ray Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes, I was thinking about that when I was testing.

    My router, indeed, is cheap D-Link (DI-604) and does not have such a
    feature
    that I am aware of. I was wondering if there might be a service out
    there that
    allows something like remote desktop (from everybody) so I could test
    my
    network/site remotely?

    You did not find what you are looking there ->
    http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di604_reve/adv_virtual.html ?

    ray, May 5, 2009