    i didn't know peart was from st cts

    but i did know about the rest of the canucks... but i feel my fishing
    expedition has been successful

    billyw, Jul 11, 2004

  2. JaR

    Neil Guest

    Geddy Lee "ten bucks is ten bucks"

    Neil, Jul 11, 2004

  3. JaR

    Neil Guest

    I'm trying to but I can't

    Neil, Jul 11, 2004
  4. =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jul 11, 2004
  5. JaR

    billyw Guest

    billyw, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Ah, I can see why you have no Scots named Smith, now. Once the Scots
    stopped riding horses, there were no need for Scottish Smiths anymore, so
    they all moved out of the country.

    --
    Fris "Now I can sleep again" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    Certaholics

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jul 11, 2004
  7. JaR

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Jul 11, 2004
  8. JaR

    Neil Guest

    so then since you are so focused on sheep you din't notice that horses
    have shoes?

    ;)

    Neil, Jul 11, 2004
  9. JaR

    billyw Guest

    whats a horses

    billyw, Jul 12, 2004
  10. JaR

    billyw Guest

    sleep the sleep of the saved

    billyw, Jul 12, 2004
  11. JaR

    Interlocutor

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would like to make a couple of observations here.

    By accident of birth I am one of those 'Brits', Jar,kpg and billyw refer to above. My response to all, is that some language is 'live', and some is more or less fixed. If you think about it, it needs to be this way.How else would be be able to talk about new descoveries or inventions like silicon chips etc.Language adapts to changing circumstances.

    My second observation is really to address Paco's educated appraisal of the origin and meaning ot the phrase 'growing like Topsy'. He correctly observes that it is from Uncle Tom's Cabin, but then proceeds to give its meaning as

    "growing uncontrollably, or wild."

    I am no linguist or estimed scholar and am ashamed to say, hold no recognised qualifications worth mentioning, so maybe the following interpretation is incorrect.

    In using the expression growing like Topsy, the author is referring to the fact that the young girl's explanation for her existance in UTC, is that she has spung up from nowhere. Meaning she just grew;no mention of rapacious grouth like a plant taking over a garden as,say, bamboo would if left uncontrolled. So, in my own humble opinion,'growing like topsy' means to spring from nowhere.

    I wish you all well.

    Interlocutor, Aug 19, 2007
  12. JaR

    Interlocutor

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Apology

    PS- please forgive the spelling and typographical errors-as I said, I am not well educated.

    Interlocutor, Aug 19, 2007