Germany passes law that imposes 2 year prison sentence for illegal downloading.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Useful Info, May 16, 2007.

  1. Useful Info

    Useful Info Guest

    Useful Info, May 16, 2007

  2. Useful Info

    Mark Guest

    Not much there, and what's there is for the simpletons and from from
    The Times March 24, 2006 !!! A bit behind, retarded perhaps?

    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/article694986.ece

    More to the point:

    http://www.zeit.de/online/2006/30/urheberrecht-online

    http://www.wir-haben-privat-kopiert.de/privkop/press/home

    http://www.attac.de/aktuell/presse/presse_ausgabe.php?id=614

    http://www.irights.info/index.php?id=81&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=248&cHash=b9959979f8

    Now, who has actually bothered to read and study this particular law?
    OK, nobody.

    Mark

    Mark, May 16, 2007

  3. In Sweden and other European countries we are going the other way, the
    politicians are saying that downloading cannot be a crime, because we
    cannot put a whole generation in prison.

    The politicians have changed their position in face of an overwhelming
    opinion among the people, so now it is very unlikely that anybody
    could be tried for downloading.

    Roger Johansson, May 16, 2007
  4. Useful Info

    skip Guest

    yesss about time . In a few years they will be pardoned in the USA nd made
    citizens

    skip, May 16, 2007
  5. Useful Info

    gavin Guest

    As far as software is concerned, since discovering this newsgroup I'm
    surprised that anyone would bother downloading illegal software - it seems
    to me that there is a free (and usually excellent) alternative to just about
    every application!

    gavin, May 16, 2007
  6. Useful Info

    NRen2k5 Guest

    Not really. While GIMP is nice for quick resize jobs, etc. it really
    doesn't compare to a photo editing app like Photoshop. Likewise (as far
    as I know) there are no freeware CAD programs that even come close to
    AutoCAD.

    NRen2k5, May 17, 2007
  7. Since this post is cross posted to SEVERAL groups, you might want to
    word your CRAP a bit more thoughtfully.

    The Great Attractor, May 18, 2007
  8. Useful Info

    Dirk Guest

    In the Netherlands downloading copyrighted things is not illegal, as long
    as you only use it for personal use and don't distribute it in any way,
    so uploading is illegal.
    Good idea they had to fight against the illegal distribution of
    copyrighted material:
    Only go after uploaders (without uploads there won't be any downloads
    either), which makes it posible to aim all your energy and resources at
    less people.
    Let people pay a bit more for empty media (cd's and dvd's) to get some
    money back from the downloaders to the people holding the copyright.

    Dirk, May 18, 2007
  9. Useful Info

    NRen2k5 Guest

    Works the same here in Canada. And I *do* mean “works.†Glad to see
    somebody else somewhere has clued in.

    P.S. Please don't use the “Followup-to†field like that.

    NRen2k5, May 18, 2007
  10. Useful Info

    gavin Guest

    Yes, really! "Power users" of any given application might have the same
    argument as you but "most" applications (I hate generalising!) in my
    experience are full of features that "average users" (the majority?) never
    need. And so a nice lean fast freeware application is usually just the
    ticket for "average" me.

    gavin, May 18, 2007
  11. Sometimes you can actually do more with freeware. Sometimes not.

    On the Road to Damascus, May 19, 2007
  12. Useful Info

    NRen2k5 Guest

    True, that.