German T-Com DSLAM-Update breaks 836 ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Garry, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. Garry

    Garry Guest

    Hi,

    at a presentation, we received information from a german Telekom person,
    and confirmed from a Cisco person also present, that a nationwide DSLAM
    update (though progressing only slowly) will cause problems with all
    current 836 routers, preventing them from being able to connect. As this
    DSLAM update is done to extend the range for the DSL connections, it
    will be rolled out first in areas where the availability of DSL is low
    at the moment.

    Anyway, the Cisco guy present said it was a problem of the 836, and that
    a ticket has been opened, no fix available yet.

    I have checked with our cisco reseller, as well as a Cisco contact, both
    haven't heard of that problem yet.

    As 836 routers are the main routers we use for our customers (and are
    and have been recommending due to stability and quality), we are a bit
    worried of the day when some of our main customer regions are upgraded
    and suddenly several dozens of customers are left without Internet ...

    Has anybody else heard of this, and could even name the ticket# under
    which this is being worked on by Cisco, as we would like to keep an eye
    on any progress and especially fixes ...

    Thanks, -gg

    Garry, Jul 2, 2005

  2. We manage almost 2000 836's, and these have gone through several major
    upgrades at our ADSL providers (Netherlands: KPN, BBned) in the last
    couple of years, including DSLAM upgrades from Cisco to Alcatel and
    ADSL2+ upgrades. Only some minor incidents were encountered so far.

    Joop van der Velden, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Hi,

    our company is managing a considerable number of 836 all accross
    germany. So far we have not encountered such a problem nor have we heard
    of such a DSLAM-upgrade. Can you specify what exactly should be updated?
    As far as I know, T-Com has DSLAMs from Siemens and ECI - which vendor
    is affected? There are many thousands 836 in the field in Germany;
    if a large number of them would not run anymore, I guess we`d have
    heard of that already.

    If you have a DSL line which is on the margin (concerning
    signal/noise or attenuation), the 836 will give up probably earlier
    than other devices like the external DSL modems from Siemens.
    In such cases you can use the 836 together with the external modem
    (speak PPPoE on the Ethernet-Port).

    However, these are isolated cases which do not happen too often,
    maybe less than 1 percent of the installations. If you have such
    a case, you'll normally know during installation... once you got
    the router running on the dsl-line, it usually stays like that.

    Regards,
    Axel

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Axel_G=E4rtner?=, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Garry

    Garry Guest

    I wasn't at the presentation in person, I'm still waiting for some
    details, maybe I can get ahold of the Telekom guy Monday ... and yes, at
    the moment only very few DSLAMs have been updated, mainly in regions
    where there was no or little DSL coverage to begin with, so existing
    (working) connections will most likely not have been affected ...
    Haven't tried that before -- does that work with the older 12MB-flash
    836? I know the new ones we just received a batch of now have some
    changes in software (dunno whether in HW too), was going to play around
    with them a bit to see what all we could do with them ;)
    I know, why else would we use Cisco? ;)

    Anyway, I'll post details once I get any more ... :)

    -gg

    Garry, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Garry,
    well, I would be interested in any information on that issue...

    [external DSL modem...]
    yes, speaking PPPoE works with all IOS versions, even the very old ones
    which fit in 8MB. If you use a recent IOS (fits still in 12MB) you can
    use the "DMZ-Port-Feature", which gives you two independent
    Ethernet-Ports... which is nicer, although not necessary.

    Using an external DSL-modem is not only necessary if the 836 won't sync,
    but also if you want to use SDSL, since T-Com offers SDSL only together
    with an external modem so far.

    Axel

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Axel_G=E4rtner?=, Jul 3, 2005