    It is completely idiotic for the comment entry box to let the visitor keep
    typing and not warn them their comments will be cut after the first 20 words
    or so

    Ja D, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Ja D

    Zebedee Guest

    Umm... you really do get what you pay for!

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Ja D

    Adrienne Guest

    That's probably something the script does on the server end. Now, they
    _could_ put something client side to warn the person that only x amount of
    characters are allowed, but they don't. What I would suggest to you, since
    you cannot access the serverside script, is to put a little warning on the
    guestbook page, maybe at the top that says "Please keep your comments to
    200 characters" or however many characters it seems to be.

    Adrienne, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Ja D

    Alan D-W Guest

    Erm, Geocities is free isn't it?
    Enough said.

    Alan D-W, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Ja D

    Adrienne Guest

    The OP has a valid point. Geocities script template _should_ have
    something on it that says that the script limits the textbox to a certain
    amount of characters, or the template should have a javascript that alerts
    the user if there are too many characters in the textbox.

    It's just the nice thing to do. It's the same thing as going to a site to
    sign up for something, and if you put one thing in wrong, the script comes
    back to tell you, and you have to put everything back in again. That's a
    pain in the arse, and any good developer worth his salt and easily design
    forms that don't do that.

    Adrienne, Jul 2, 2004