Generic Memory from PP, any comment?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by TmcT, May 9, 2004.

  1. TmcT

    TmcT Guest

    TmcT, May 9, 2004

  2. TmcT

    whoisthis Guest

    LOTS of risk.
    "Generic" memory is often memory that fails to meet full specification,
    ie the timing may be slightly out, etc. This can mean that you will have
    random unexplained crashes. I have had to run a memory test app for 3
    days before it picked up a fault. Replaced the module and the crashes
    were gone.

    whoisthis, May 9, 2004

  3. For its Price I find that Kingmax is ok..

    Imported by BDT from memory...

    http://www.bdt.co.nz/home/

    The Old MELCO company..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 9, 2004
  4. TmcT

    Chris Guest

    No pun intended eh Roger :)

    Chris, May 9, 2004
  5. Same here... from memory the G3 had to have 133MHz ram in it, can't
    remember why, but yeah, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 9, 2004
  6. TmcT

    GraB Guest

    Using generic pc2100 DDR RAM here from PP without problem.

    GraB, May 9, 2004
  7. TmcT

    Invisible Guest

    Would something like Prime Torture Test come up with errors with generic? I'm
    getting random crashes on my 1800XP, Asus A7S333 board w/generic ram. Ran
    Memtest for several hours (maybe needs to go longer?) but Prime usually picks up
    errors within an hour or 2. So I'm not sure if the board, cpu, or ram is at
    fault.

    Invisible, May 10, 2004
  8. TmcT

    TmcT Guest

    Thanks.

    I think PC100 would be fine since it's installed with.
    (You might read about the newer Mac with faster speed.)

    But the BWG3 may only take "single-sided" memory (read that from another
    forum, not sure is true or not.).

    TmcT, May 10, 2004
  9. TmcT

    TmcT Guest

    $180 for 256MB SDram for an old comp (G3-400), isn't it more than ok these
    day?

    Don't want the machine get retire so early but not gonna put much money onto
    it either.
    I would look for those around $100 brand, Hynix maybe, from qmb.

    Thanks anyway :)

    TmcT, May 10, 2004
  10. TmcT

    Seb Guest

    I queried PP on what the difference between generic and the other brands were
    before I purchased. There reply was generic is 'Industry Standard' and uses a
    lower grade of silicon. They also mentioned that if the ram doesnt have a
    lifetime warranty that they usually list it as Generic. I ordered some Generic
    ram and received Hynix and it works well without a problem.

    :eek:)

    Seb, May 10, 2004
  11. TmcT

    samg Guest

    first thing id look at is cpu temp. My brothers 1800xp ran very hot using
    the retail fan that came with it and would overheat when playing games
    (same as youd get running prime)

    samg, May 10, 2004
  12. TmcT

    ~misfit~ Guest

    My XP1800 is running fine at 2.1Ghz with the standard heatsink and fan. Mind
    you, I've cut a hole in the case directly above it, installed an 80mm fan,
    and ducted it (Plastic cup with the bottom cut off, hot glue) directly to
    the CPU fan.

    ~misfit~, May 14, 2004