    Win32" failure of some sort. It then asks me if I want to send a
    notification to MS...

    Why is this happening all of a sudden?

    HJB, Jul 9, 2004

  2. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 10, 2004

  3. HJB

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You should be able to use XP's Event Viewer for the System Events and
    view the error to determine what the error is.

    I got the error from "Generic Host Process for Win32" -- svchost.exe when
    a memory chip was going bad and was reported during the boot process by
    svchost.exe.

    I also read your other post about some other problem you're having that
    could be due to svchost.exe aborting.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 10, 2004
  4. HJB

    HJB Guest

    HJB, Jul 10, 2004
  5. HJB

    HJB Guest

    I'm fairly computer technical, but not so much so that I understand
    everything you do. Are you implying that I might need to switch out my RAM?
    I currently have 512MB PC133 (1X256MB and 2X128MB)... all 3 slots on MB are
    full.

    HJB, Jul 10, 2004
  6. HJB

    Duane Arnold Guest

    No, I am not saying that you have BAD ram. As Svchost.exe was blowing
    down during the boot and logon process on my 512MB ram machine, the error
    message box from svchost.exe stated that it was having trouble reading
    memory. The O/S did recognize this problem and started circumventing it.
    The O/S only reports 384MB in use at this time. I'll get around to
    looking at the bad bank one of these days.

    However, that particular instance of svchost.exe that was blowing down
    during the boot and logon process prevented Internet access by all
    Internet applications on the machine.

    You should check the Event Log to see if the error is being logged. It
    may help you to determine what the issue is.

    The particular instance of svchost.exe, which does many functions for the
    O/S with multiple svchost.exe(s) active, during the boot and logon
    process may contain some logic that works with Fast User Switching and
    that svchost.exe has aborted.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 10, 2004
  7. HJB

    HJB Guest

    Here is what it said... "Generic Host for Win32 Encountered a Problem"

    "szAppName : szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : unknown
    szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000 "

    HJB, Jul 10, 2004
  8. HJB

    °Mike° Guest

    That's about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    What does your event viewer have to say about it?

    °Mike°, Jul 11, 2004
  9. HJB

    HJB Guest

    I cannot get into the Event Viewer. I go to Control Panel/Performance and
    Maintenance... and then it hourglasses me eternally. I cannot select
    anything. I know I need to go to the Admin section, but I cannot click
    anything and I will have to C+A+D to close Control Panel.

    HJB, Jul 12, 2004