Generic Host Process For Win32

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bun Mui, May 7, 2004.

  1. Bun Mui

    Bun Mui Guest

    I use GoToMyPC program to connect from remote computer to host computer.
    When I connect I see this popup on my Zone Alarm program.

    Do you want to allow Generic Host Process for Win32
    services to accept connection from the Internet?

    Source I.P.
    Application is svchost.exe

    Should I accept it or refuse it?

    Because it (GoToMyPC program) still works even after I refuse it.

    The reason why I don't want to accept it.

    Because in my Windows XP Home Edition, AVG program found before that
    Nachi virus has infected svchost.exe here-

    c:\windows\system32\drivers\svhost.exe

    It is in avg vault at the moment.

    What should I do?

    Thanks.

    Bun Mui

    Bun Mui, May 7, 2004

  2. Bun Mui

    Dan Shea Guest

    Then it seems you can safely refuse it.
    That is not the same as the program ZA is telling you about. One is
    svchost.exe, the other is svhost.exe. This is no reason to disallow
    svchost.exe from accessing the internet. (Not to mention that if
    svchost.exe is infected, AVG should pick it up when it goes into
    action.)
    There is an interesting (yawn) discussion of ZA and svchost.exe here:
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=security&message.id=4972

    Allow it, or disallow it, probably makes very little difference. I
    would suggest always allowing it to access the internet. It's a
    legit Windows system file. But whichever you do, you might want to
    tell ZA to stop asking you about it.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 7, 2004