    Can I use more than 10 characters in my 40 bit password? Is it case
    sensitive?
    Do I need a firewall on my notebook if my router has a firewall?

    old guy, Feb 1, 2005

  2. I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know:

    If you are connecting at 54meg you are connected on a G network (B is 11m).
    WPA is definitely better, probably no big deal if you have other security
    measures in place.
    You should run a software firewall on your notebook, even if your router has
    a firewall, reason being the router firewall filters inbound, not outbound
    traffic (usually). So if you get a Trojan and you don't run a software
    firewall you'll never know it. I use the free Zone Alarm, it is quite good,
    in my opinion.

    Joseph

    Joseph Stewart, Feb 1, 2005

  3. old guy

    old guy Guest

    Joseph,
    Thanks. Next obvious question. How do I know if I'm running 54 or
    11M? I get the impression I don't set this on the router/PC/notebook.

    old guy, Feb 1, 2005
  4. old guy

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If you would like a little general education in the matters that you asked
    about, read the content of the following Links.

    Internet - Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    As far as Wireless "Speed", if would like to know the real "story".

    Start by putting Wireless client (Computer) close to the source(Wireless
    Router).

    801.11b is rated 11Mb/sec in reality it would provide about 6-8Mb/sec.

    Translating 8b (bit) =1B (Byte) it means about 700KB/sec to 1000KB/sec.

    I.e. if you transfer a 10MB file from the Wireless computer to a Wired
    computer that is on the same Router, it should take about 15 - 10 sec. to
    transfer the file.

    802.11g is rated 54Mb/sec. in reality it would provide about 16-22Mb/sec.

    I.e. transfer rate of 2MB/sec. 2.7MB/sec. same file as above should take
    4 - 5 sec. to transfer.

    All numbers are approximate for demonstration purposes YMMV according to
    your system actual capacity and tuning.

    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 2, 2005
  5. old guy

    old guy Guest

    Joseph,
    Thanks. The links are quite helpful. BTW, my speed at a distance of
    ~20 feet is 36 - guess that's G.

    old guy, Feb 2, 2005
  6. Sure , but you can download OidScope from www.ndis.com which show different
    data for wired/wireless adapters