    It's time for a new ISP. Sheesh!

    <sigh>
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Alan Browne

    WebKatz Guest

    BFEG!

    WebKatz, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Trouble is, not all servers carry the new groups yet. Mine (news.individual.de)
    doesn't.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Jan 3, 2005
  4. S. wrote:
    []
    My ISP is the same - primarily to all the resources taken up by the binary
    newsgroups.

    I joined one of the free text news servers just for the new groups.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 3, 2005
  5. SNIP
    Yes it is, because it is a service they provide, at their discretion.
    Good service, indeed.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I wish I could say the same about the evil gnomes at Videotron. (They do
    promisse server upgrades ... in 2005 ... sometime... maybe.)

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Alan Browne

    Bo Stevens Guest

    I would suggest that you update your group list. I use news.individual.de
    and have rec.photo.digital.slr-systems available. It has been there for at
    least a couple of weeks (that I know of).

    Bo Stevens, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Alan Browne

    Henry Law Guest

    Insults are rather pathetic in newsgroup posts; they conjure up images
    of small-time individuals salivating over their keyboards as they type
    things they would never dream of saying to someone's face.
    Indeed; and in that context all I sought to do, without insult or
    name-calling, was to point out that your wish to lump heterogeneous
    posts together in one newsgroup tends in only one direction. The
    result will not be helpful; and if you can't see that then there's no
    arguing with you.

    Henry Law, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Alan Browne

    Tony Guest

    No there is no arguing with the anal types at all, who would rather reduce
    the posts down to the point where the groups is dead than "suffer" the
    indignities of having to look over a whole list of stuff that they don't
    understand. Why don't you go to your little happy group and have your fun,
    instead of hanging around here cluttering this group with your neurotic
    obsessions?

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne_ Guest

    That's spelt "shoot-in" and no, nothing to do with trolls.

    Alan Browne_, Jan 4, 2005
  11. Alan Browne

    Steve Young Guest

    hahaha no, I meant new group shoo in
    You did read the cite?

    This message has more admission/explanation of the 'stuffing' activity, if
    you care
    Msg-ID:
    Kinda looks like what I've been saying all along.
    Those fun lovin 'socks' are why we have the new groups :)
    Don't we just love em!? :)))

    :)x

    Steve Young, Jan 4, 2005
  12. Ok, got it now. I had done the 'get new groups' thing but it never showed up so
    I figured it wasn't there yet.
    I did a full refresh instead, and there it is.

    Thanks

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Jan 4, 2005
  13. Alan Browne

    Confused Guest

    Do you do like other usenet fragmenters and lurk and flame
    under other names? Wage email campaigns to lure people away
    from the bad group? Your methods and high and mighty
    authority-posing attitude is classic, after all.

    Jeff

    Confused, Jan 4, 2005
  14. Alan Browne

    Confused Guest

    You don't have any tolerance for people who are not perfect, eh?
    BTW... do you get tea and toost with your FreeLunch ISP?

    Jeff

    Confused, Jan 4, 2005
  15. Alan Browne

    WebKatz Guest

    That's our Tony.

    WebKatz, Jan 4, 2005
  16. Alan Browne

    WebKatz Guest

    Case in point...

    WebKatz, Jan 4, 2005
  17. Alan Browne

    Henry Law Guest

    Please look very carefully at the two posts I wrote in this thread and
    tell me where I have advocated a new group of any kind - happy, little
    or otherwise. And while you're about it please let me know what it
    was I wrote that suggested to you that I was obsessed with something.

    What we're doing here is discussing some ideas and maybe some simple
    principles, but you seem to be one of those people who see
    disagreement as a form of attack. Now the real answer is that you and
    I are both right (I know it will hurt you to realise that I, obsessive
    anal book-keeper as you designate me, am right but hold tight: the
    pain will pass).

    You're right because excessive division of groups is damaging and
    pointless. I'm right because insufficient division of groups simply
    doesn't work (and by the way my post of 02 Jan 2005 13:20:23 +0000 was
    ironic - did you not spot it?). But plainly the actual answer in any
    particular case is unclear (no simple answers, no happy ending: sorry
    if that disturbs you).

    It's true that rec.photo.digital is a very busy group, and there is
    considerable heterogeneity in the posts, to the point where most
    people are only interested in a minority of the articles. On the
    other hand it's not at all clear that rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is
    fulfilling its purpose: many articles seem to be cross-posted between
    the two (the worst of all worlds), and there is much material in the
    "mother" group that could have gone in the "daughter". In the end
    only the people that use the groups will decide.

    I'd like to read a thoughtful and measured reply from you but on
    previous experience I doubt you're able to produce one.

    Henry Law, Jan 4, 2005
  18. Alan Browne

    Dave Guest

    Thoughtful and measured? Not our Tony.

    He'll just killfile you - but first he'll have to tell you that he's
    going to killfile you - then he wont' do it right - so the next time he
    sees a post from you he'll killfile you again - but first he'll have to
    tell you that he's going to killfile you, again...

    Dave, Jan 4, 2005
  19. Alan Browne

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jan 4, 2005
  20. Alan Browne

    Dave Guest

    So you CAN see me, eh Tony? How sweet that you still care.

    Dave, Jan 4, 2005