    online from the manufacturer.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    1/4 or more of the threads here regard DSLR specifics. So why should people
    wade through 9,000 unrelated posts to get to it? That was the primary reason
    that the NG was proposed. Second to that was a desire to create an NG similar
    in nature to rpe35mm, but without the film issues. And there it is.

    As to dpreview, which is an excellent information source, it is a poor
    discussion place IMO (an opinion I hold of almost all web based discussion
    boards, although they have been getting a little better of late).

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Alan Browne

    nick c Guest

    Thanks Alan. I just clicked on your posted group and a display appeared
    asking if I wanted to subscribe and download.

    nick

    nick c, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    My more enthusiastic side sees me posting a "C'mon on over!" post here daily.

    Out of respect for everyone concerned I've held it to, I believe, 3 posts to
    date since late October. This latest one followed the collection of the Dec.
    statistics as showing clear, healthy growth.

    We may not need ever again to advertise the success of the group, but I will try
    hold off longer next time.

    And by the way, as others have pointed out in various ways, rpd will still be
    here, will still be healthy and strong.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    In part yes, but you know my attitude is much less restrictive than that. While
    these groups (.35mm and .slr-systems) are 'equipment' oriented, we can't escape
    their purpose...

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Alan Browne

    nick c Guest

    Very interesting.

    I'll look forward to reading your posts in
    I've already signed on.

    nick

    nick c, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Alan Browne

    Darrell Guest

    Please use

    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.canon
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.nikon
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.minolta
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.pentax
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.fourthirds
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.mattel (for SD-9/SD-10)

    Darrell, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Alan Browne

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Tactful response function temporarily put on hold.

    To put it both bluntly and succinctly, bullshit! The charter from your own
    web page is :

    CHARTER: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    This newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, is an open forum for the
    discussion of digital SLR (single lens reflex) camera systems.

    These systems consist of:

    * Digital SLR (DSLR) camera bodies with mounts for detachable lenses
    * Lenses for those cameras

    Additional On-Topic Discussion:

    * Discussion of any relevant accessories for those camera systems,
    including but not limited to: external flash units, memory cards,
    microdrives, lens filters/hoods, camera bags/cases, DSLR
    camera/lens/accessory maintenance, tripods and monopods.
    * Photography techniques, as long as the discussion remains within the
    context of DSLR photography
    * Image post-processing, as long as the discussion remains within the
    context of DSLR photography
    * Posting links to personal photo galleries or images, as long as the
    discussion remains within the context of DSLR photography
    * Discussion of digital backs for film SLR bodies

    PERIOD!

    For you to imply here is some minimal level beneath which a question posed
    is off-topic for the group is nothing more than arrogant. Might I suggest
    you just let it go and let the less arrogant others who at least at this
    time choose to peruse the group answer those questions you deem beneath
    you. Do no harm. Otherwise, you may find you can have the group all to
    yourself.

    Rant off.

    My apologies to the rest of r.pd., but this elitist attitude has just
    struck a raw nerve. As the OP can't even get the name of the said group
    correct in the subject, just who the hell is he to determine what level of
    query is valid w.r.t. any dslr?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Alan Browne

    Dave Guest

    Funny - I manage just fine.

    Dave, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    ? If you mean your news reader did that, then yes, that's how it's supposed to
    work. The 'subscription' is all in your newsreader, not "on the web/internet".
    The download refers to a list of messages (some nominal number or the maximum
    that your new server 'sees').

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  11. Alan Browne

    Ryadia Guest

    Hey Ed...
    If you thought Browne actually gave a shit, you were wrong.
    If you thought you'd alter his abhorrent behaviour, you were wrong too.
    If you thought he might actually apologise for something (anything) you
    were wrong there too.
    Alan Browne sets his own rules and if they conflict with his current
    attitude, he'll change 'em to suit.

    Usenet has long preferred sigs were 3 lines or less. Even Alan Browne
    agreed. It said so on his web site but when I pulled him up over his
    (longer) sig, he went off on one of his abhorrent tangents of self
    justification until I pointed out his web site said 3 lines.

    No apology, just changed the statement on his site to reflect his view.
    Digital.slr-systems is not about a group of people discussing their passion,
    it is about Alan Browne's own piece of the Internet. All I (and a few
    others ) can presume is that he is such an insignificant person in real
    life, he fantasises with his computer to obtain whatever recognition he
    doesn't get in the real world. Certainly anyone posting as prolifically as
    he does could not have time for photography.

    For the record... rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is not a photographic
    discussion group. It is a digital, Single Lens Reflex camera discussion
    group. If you want to discuss digital photography, you can't!
    ....rec.photo.digital is the place where discussions of digital photography
    are totally on topic. So are discussions about everything to do with digital
    photography except posts selling stuff.

    If Alan Browne keeps up his attempts at dominance of the group, it will
    remain an elitist group of technocrats who have absolutely no photographic
    ability other than to understand totally the engineering aspects of their
    DSLRs. All the traffic the group generated during Alan Browne's absence is
    most likely due to holidays and more time to relax than any real growth in
    the group.

    Doug

    Ryadia, Jan 2, 2005
  12. Alan Browne

    Ryadia Guest

    That Canon group already exists, Tony. It just has to have the name changed
    to rec.photo.Canon.digital.slr-systems. Talk to Alan, he's good at changing
    stuff to suit his point of view. Surely he's good for a favor or two?

    Doug

    Ryadia, Jan 2, 2005
  13. Alan Browne

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: m II <> -

    Will 'Annika' Douglas be flooding it with film based shots?

    mike

    No, I'm planning on flooding them with porn links and Alan Browne's
    personal info.

    Annika1980, Jan 3, 2005
  14. Alan Browne

    S. Guest

    My ISP hasn't signed on to any new groups in a couple of years.

    S.

    S., Jan 3, 2005
  15. Interesting! I cannot for the life of me remember the last post where
    Spadaro was being helpful....

    John McWilliams, Jan 3, 2005
  16. Alan Browne

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    Same here.
    The Spock thing? I *LOVE* it!!
    It just makes SENSE (at least, to me) that, if the traffic volume in a
    newsgroup exceeds X, a more SPECIFIC "spin-off" group should be formed and
    used.

    I first "heard" about the

    <
    group somewhat more than a week ago.

    My Cox Communications news server did NOT carry it. I logged-on their support
    site and left email requesting it.

    It is now on the server.

    That's good service.

    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 3, 2005
  17. Alan Browne

    Steve Young Guest

    hey, aren't those 4 of the groups the fun lovin trolls shooed in?
    Msg-ID:
    (if I ain't mistaken :)

    Steve Young, Jan 3, 2005
  18. Alan Browne

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    Your joke aside, I'd like to see the above groups.

    When I have to wade through a "zillion" Sigma, D70, point-and-shoot and
    tsunami posts to find something I can use, it's more than a little time
    consuming.

    Thanks to Alan Browne having the NERVE to post here an invitation to the dSLR
    newsgroup, I am moving there.

    Of course, I'll keep an eye on the traffic here. The political science stuff
    can be quite interesting.

    (Perhaps I need to go to a PoliSci group to get my dSLR info!)

    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 3, 2005
  19. Alan Browne

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    You mean, like "Back in Black in B-flat minor"?

    (I don't get it.)

    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 3, 2005
  20. Alan Browne

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    Amen. Thank-you. I agree.

    I very much dislike web-based email. Web-based <ahem> discussion groups
    aren't much better.

    I MUCH prefer my OS-specific newsreader/interface.
    I understand your concern. However, were it not for his "invitation", I would
    not have KNOWN about the newsgroup. It wasn't on my ISP's server - but it is
    now.

    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 3, 2005