  1. Alan Browne

    Pete D Guest

    And a plug in his butt? The anal retentive type? LOL

    Pete D, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Gary Eickmeier commented courteously ...
    Thanks for your opinion, Gary. I guess what I was replying
    to was whether the DSLR discussions, in whatever vein,
    were tying up thread space on this NG, making it hard for
    people to "see" what they want to see.

    I'm a rank newbie to this NG, but since the DSLR Usent
    group already exists, seems like it'd be the Spock thing
    to do is use it. Again, just my opinion, your mileage may
    vary...

    All Things Mopar, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Alan Browne

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Alan Browne

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jan 2, 2005
  5. For your information, there are actually four new groups:

    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    rec.photo.digital.zlr

    If you're not familiar with the term, ZLR is Zoom Lens Reflex. This was
    the best compromise to describe high-end cameras that don't have
    interchangeable lenses, but otherwise look like SLRs - such as the
    Panasonic FZ20, Minolta A2, Nikon 8400 & 8800 etc.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Alan Browne

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Then you might then rethink you attitude when replying to one of the few
    that show up there. I'm not necessarily known for my tact at times, but an
    answer containing only RTFM isn't going to entice return visits by the OP
    or possibly lurkers.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Alan Browne

    Henry Law Guest

    Yeah, it's really terrible the way that USENET is divided up. What a
    drag it is, having to separate the photographic posts from the java
    language, gardening and travel ones. And as for having to go all the
    way over to a sports group to discuss football - I ask you, why on
    earth bother going to a sports group to discuss sport? So much more
    fun just to have a single newsgroup in one's subscription list and put
    all the posts in there.

    Henry Law, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Alan Browne

    me Guest

    Anything that gets these people out of rec.photo.equipment.35mm is a good
    thing. If I were to guess I'd guess you cross posted this to
    rec.photo.equipment.35mm to give people there the hint about where to go.
    Just a guess. Thank you Alan.
    Film best!
    me

    me, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    You're very welcome.
    That's really it in a nutshell.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    <<Keyboard coffee cleanup>>

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    12,000 - 13,000 posts/month in rpd make like listening to chopin during an AC/DC
    concert.

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  12. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    Hey! Raise your own advert threads!

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  13. Alan Browne

    Charles Guest

    If you can stand a web based board like dpreview which has got to be
    one of the worst web based interfaces I have encountered, more power to
    you. I prefer Usenet. The new newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.slr-sytems
    has been coming along nicely. Since you don't see the need for it, just
    ignore the DSLR newsgroup, nobody is forcing anyone to use it. I almost
    wish Alan would stop touting the new group for fear it would start
    becoming like r.p.d.

    Charles, Jan 2, 2005
  14. I feel I may get less trouble if I tack onto yours!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 2, 2005
  15. sig. lines, and insult as many people as possible. And announce their
    killfile additions. And.... ho boy, enough.

    John McWilliams, Jan 2, 2005
  16. Damn! That's it! One NG for everyone, everything. That way, political
    discussions/rants would always be on topic, and we could have tons of
    e-Bay pointers to peruse....

    John McWilliams, Jan 2, 2005
  17. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Your courage is underwhelming.

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  18. Alan Browne

    Tony Guest

    I take it you are one of the anal types who thinks that the world needs a
    rec.photo.zlr and a rec.photo.rangefinder etc etc etc group. Go back to your
    double entry bookkeeping. Most of the world is looking for people who can
    help them, not people who are so busy sorting they can't be bothered with
    newcomers. I'm very surprised you morons didnt create twice as many groups,
    a full set for beginners, then a full set for advanged users, then groups
    for people who own both slr and p&s, and a group for people with Canon slr
    and Nikon p&s and a group for.... I think I'll stop now, I might be giving
    you gobshites more ideas.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jan 2, 2005
  19. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    A little bit of that, but mainly motivated to reduce the time I used to spend
    wading through rpd. A couple years ago it was manageable, now it's just not
    possible.

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005
  20. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    The intent was never to replace rpd, just to have a zone that is specific to the
    needs of D-SLR shooters. People can have as many NG's as they like, after all.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jan 2, 2005