    always be the bottleneck. Will I get any benefit from buying any card that
    is any better than the very cheapest?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Mail, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Mail

    Patch Guest

    It really depends on what you plan on doing with your computer. If just
    surfing the web, or doing word processing is all, then the ATI is all you
    need. If you're a gamer, then buy the best card you can afford. The next
    generation of games such as Doom III or Half-life II will require a first
    class computer & video card.

    Patch, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Mail

    Shel-hed Guest

    Your question is a bit confusing. An FX5900 is near the top of the heap and may be a
    little more than you need. OTOH your machine isn't exactly a slouch, so using a
    bottom of the barrel card is a waste of your eyeballs.
    IMO, the decision rests on your general shopping philosophy, budget, and computing
    habits.
    For example:
    "I have lots of money, so I'll just buy a top of the line card now, and when the games
    get more needy I'll swap the old card back in, then build a new screamer using this
    card."
    Or:
    "I don't want to spend more than I have to, so I'll get a middle of the road ATI 9600
    Pro, then get the new stuff when it's cheaper and has been proven."

    Remember, the FXs are new and raw, and ATI has pretty well beaten all of the old
    driver problems.
    Don't forget to lurk in a few of the games groups.

    Shel-hed, Nov 25, 2003