GBIC module to drive 100Base over fibre

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Edmunde Lee, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Edmunde Lee

    Edmunde Lee Guest

    Hey guys,

    Forgive me if this sounds a little odd, but I've been asked to see if
    I can come up with a solution for this particular problem.

    In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
    too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).
    One solution to try to get as much bandwidth through these lines is to
    drive 100Base over them.

    Is it possible to buy GBIC modules that will drive 100Base over fibre?

    The plan is to aggregate a few of these multimode lines together, with
    each of them driving 100Base.

    Does this make sense?

    Find a proper GBIC that would do this would be best, a NIC that drove
    100Base over fibre would be an alternative.

    Any info would be appreciated.

    Edmunde Lee, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Edmunde Lee

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    IMHO, not possible since GBIC can run only gigabit (and 10 Gig). Which
    fibers do you have? How much power loss? How long are they?

    Maybe if you couldn't drive Gig, you could use converters for 100 Mbit
    ethernet to optical or something..

    Ivan Ostres, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Edmunde Lee

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Not that I know of. All GBICs I know run at 1000Mbps (hence the "G" in
    GBIC)

    Why not just run 100Mps over it using a plain ol' fiber optic Xceiver?

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Walter Roberson, Apr 5, 2004
  5. :In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
    :too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).
    :One solution to try to get as much bandwidth through these lines is to
    :drive 100Base over them.

    Are the multimode cables FDDI grade? If so, then you can push further:

    http://www.mrv.com/product/MRV-FD-GMX/

    Walter Roberson, Apr 5, 2004
  6. Edmunde Lee

    chris Guest

    For multimode the distance limitation is determined by the modal
    bandwidth property of the fiber. 50u is about 500m, and 62.5 is
    260-something. You should probably check with the cable manf for the
    specs of the cable.

    Single mode cable distance limits are determined by power loss over
    the cabling, transmit power, and receive sensitivity. I have a pair
    of Cisco LX modules running gigabit over 11 miles with about 3 dB of
    headroom of laser power. Hasn't even hiccupped in 3 years.

    Best bet is using cheap 100-meg copper to fiber converters at either
    end.

    -Chris

    chris, Apr 8, 2004