Gateways, Access Points and Extenders

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joker920, Jun 3, 2012.

1. joker920

joker920

Can anyone please explain or direct me to a link that explains the difference between Gateways, Access Points and Extenders.

Additionally, this is what I am trying to do.

I have a Verizon Fios Cable Modem/router that supports 100/1000 Ethernet. It is located on the 3rd floor of my house.

I am looking for a device (preferably Netgear) that I can connect to the Verizon router via cat 5e and be placed on the 2nd floor. I want this device to also be 100/1000, have additional ports to connect other wired 100/1000 devices and extend or repeat (hence the need for clarification) the wireless.

I am having a difficult time knowing which of the available device types I should be browsing through to find what I am looking for.

joker920, Jun 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. joker920

howardrya

the device you are going to want on the second floor will be an access point. you cant connect multiple routers in one network. You can use multiple routers only if they are configured in bridge mode (if it supports it) or if you turn off the dhcp server and connect the router in one of the lan ports. An access point will be cheaper and easier.

howardrya, Nov 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question