  1. Plato

    PuppyKatt Guest

    roflmao

    PuppyKatt, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Plato

    TNKEV Guest

    There are still a bunch of them around!
    Grateful Dead fans love them.
    The Dead no longer tours due to the death of Jerry Garcia but
    "rec.music.gdead"is still alive and kicking,If you were to poll the
    group I bet you would find that there are probably 20 people in that
    group that still drive them on a daily basis.

    TNKEV, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Plato

    clot Guest

    Those were the days!(60's) I recall taking one from the western edge of
    the UK right to the southern edge of Turkey. In those days there were no
    speed retarders so I couldn't advise whether they could go over them!

    clot, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Plato

    clot Guest

    One of the things I liked was their simplicity. From recollection, it
    was only four bolts to get the rear skirt off, no radiator to worry
    about, clear the air ducting, a couple of electrical connectors and
    fuel, four bolts only between the engine and gearbox and there you were!
    Bob's your uncle, the engine is out! :)

    clot, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Plato

    Toolman Tim Guest

    And you didn't need no stinkin' heavy lifting equipment either <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  6. Plato

    clot Guest

    Exactly! A point I failed to mention. The best experience I had from
    that point of view was taking a duff 2CV engine to the garage on a bus!

    clot, Sep 3, 2005
  7. Plato

    Toolman Tim Guest

    LOL!! The best I can do with that one is riding my bicycle to the parts
    store with a starter in my backpack <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  8. Plato

    Whiskers Guest

    The VW 'caravan' is the preferred transport for hippies and surfers still,
    and Australians exploring Europe. I think there's still a weekly street
    market trading them somewhere near Earls' Court in London. They can be
    found at Newquay (surfers) and Stonehenge (hippies) at the appropriate
    seasons.

    The 'splitty' (vertical divider between two flat windscreens, small
    flat-four engine as fitted to the early 'beetle') is much sought after,
    although the later 'bow window' (single curved windscreen) models are
    better able to keep up with the traffic.

    Whiskers, Sep 3, 2005
  9. Plato

    clot Guest

    Sadly, I have to say "I've got that T shirt"! :)

    clot, Sep 3, 2005
  10. Plato

    clot Guest

    Cobblers - you could still put the 70's motors in the split screens!

    clot, Sep 3, 2005
  11. Even up Porlock Hill and Linton and Lynmouth Hill?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 3, 2005
  12. Plato

    clot Guest

    I went up the GlossGlockner - nil problemo! :)

    clot, Sep 3, 2005
  13. Plato

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Heh! I will admit to have finally (well, three months ago) buying a new
    car - with a WARRANTY and roadside assistance - I break down, they come 'n
    get me, they fix the car, they send me home happy. Or else. <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  14. Plato

    Whiskers Guest

    Not if you're a purist.

    Whiskers, Sep 3, 2005
  15. Plato

    Whiskers Guest

    Easy. Not /fast/, but perfectly capable.

    Whiskers, Sep 3, 2005
  16. Plato

    Top Guest

    We raced VW bugs on dirt tracks when I was stationed in Germany. Knock
    the glass out, leave one seat, cut the top of and drop a roll cage in,
    modify the fenders and you're ready to race. Lotta fun in those
    things!

    Top

    Top, Sep 4, 2005
  17. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Good for long boards, fit on top. Now jeeps are popular with the short
    board crew.

    Plato, Sep 4, 2005
  18. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Remember "dune buggies"?

    Plato, Sep 4, 2005
  19. Plato

    Top Guest

    Oh yeah, helped a friend build one. Remember the VW Thing? They didn't
    last long.

    Top

    Top, Sep 4, 2005
  20. Plato