  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    from CNBC
    "8/31/2005 10:04:10 AM ET
    $3 gas has arrived Wholesale prices are skyrocketing in the wake of
    Hurricane Katrina, and pump prices have already passed $3 in some areas.
    Shortages, long lines also reported."

    I was in a 7/11 eg one of those convenience stores with high prices that
    only sell junk food and soda, and this guy was complaining about the
    price of gas to the clerk as he was paying $1.98 for a bottle of soda,
    $6.50 for a pack of Marlboro, and $2.99 for an "energy carbo bar". Then
    he gets into his Hummer that he left running outside and gets what, 8
    miles/gallon? Just weird.

    Plato, Aug 31, 2005

  2. Plato

    Harrison Guest

    http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=LeftNav

    Harrison, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Plato

    Harrison Guest

    Harrison, Aug 31, 2005
  4. The Old Sourdough, Aug 31, 2005
  5. Plato

    philo Guest

    maybe now we'll be seeing a few less of those cadillac pickup trucks~!

    philo, Aug 31, 2005
  6. Plato

    SEYMOUR Guest

    in the uk its now £1 per litre
    that makes it nearly $6 per us gallon

    SEYMOUR, Aug 31, 2005
  7. Plato

    clot Guest

    It's to be hoped so. That left side of Pond disease of driving silly big
    SUVs is infecting this side of the Pond at an alarming rate. We should
    be using vehicles comensurate to our need not greed. For most, small
    diesels are the motor of the moment conserving fuel for others and not
    threatening people, minimising obstructions to visibility for other road
    users.

    clot, Aug 31, 2005
  8. Plato

    GuitarMan Guest

    Sure it's weird and I don't agree with 8 cyl. gas hog vehicles but to
    compare soda, smokes, and a carbo bar to gas is stupid.
    How many people do you know consume about 20 gallons of soda a day or smoke
    about 20 packs of cigs a day or eat about 20 carbo bars a day?
    I've seen other people compare the price of milk, pepto bismo, etc. to gas
    but it isn't the same thing so it would be nice if people stop trying to
    justify the price of gas by comparing it to irrelevant items...

    GuitarMan, Aug 31, 2005
  9. Plato

    philo Guest

    a friend of mine just got a hybrid car that gets 50 mpg...
    they should have had *most* cars in the US getting 50 mpg...
    20 years ago...

    as Winston Churchill once said:

    Americans always do what's right...

    but only after all other alternatives have been exhausted!

    I sure hope Bush is feeling a bit exhausted by now!

    philo, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Plato

    clot Guest

    "Irrelevant items"? I suspect that was the poster's point - trash (junk
    food) being bought at a high price! Jumping to assumptions - I suspect
    the driver might be of certain dimensions as well!

    clot, Aug 31, 2005
  11. Plato

    clot Guest

    My midsized family diesel motor is currently doing 53.8 mpg (UK). I have
    to do 130 km per day (which I'm not happy about!), but I use less than
    some SUVs use just going to town and dropping the kids off at school -
    to the danger and detriment of others who walk their kids to school -
    often the same distance and speed!

    clot, Sep 1, 2005
  12. Plato

    Toolman Tim Guest

    High price of gas? Not! Think about it this way:

    When I was younger and made $15,000 a year, gas was around $1.50 a gallon
    (and mileage was 13 or 14 per gallon). Now, I make $30,000 a year, and gas
    is around $2.70 a gallon (and mileage is 22 to 24 per gallon). Do the math:
    it seems to me gas costs LESS after factoring in inflation and improvements
    in MPG.

    'Course, after the damage in Louisiana, all bets are off <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 1, 2005
  13. Toolman Tim wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    When I was younger, I can remember making about 6K a year, and paying
    about 17-20 cents per gallon.

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 1, 2005
  14. Plato

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That's why there's an "old" in your handle <g> (It really wasn't that long
    ago that I was at the $10K mark. Our local economy was REALLY bad in the
    90's!)

    But here's something I found interesting:
    <http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/gasoline_cpi_adjusted.html>

    and this is a large PDF so some people may not want to download it:
    http://www.illinois.gov/gasprices/docs/Primer-gas.pdf
    Besides, it's a bit dated (2004 figures) although it makes a good case for
    gas costing less after inflation adjustments.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 1, 2005
  15. Plato

    trout Guest

    Naturally, the price went up, after the invention of the automobile.

    trout, Sep 1, 2005
  16. Plato

    Toolman Tim Guest

    LMAO!!

    Toolman Tim, Sep 1, 2005

    I'll have you know, my first vehicle was a '22 Hupmobile....

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 1, 2005
  18. Plato

    uh Clem... Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Wed, 31 Aug 2005

    And what's interesting about that is the fedgov says we have had
    little to no inflation in the past 10 or so years.
    You don't think they'd LIE to us, do you??

    uh Clem..., Sep 1, 2005
  19. Plato

    uh Clem... Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Wed, 31 Aug 2005
    16:41:26 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide "philo"
    I recently traveled to Hong Kong, where gas is (approx. $10USD per
    gallon--they sell liters...some metric thang) and they sell a cute
    little car that gets a zillion MPG.
    Hey, big surprise! In The USA, the land of the free, we're not
    ALLOWED to own these cars! They're made by Damlier-Chrysler and are
    called Smart Cars.

    I have some pix of 'em on my blog.
    http://360.yahoo.com/clause39

    They're really cute.
    My pix are there too.
    I'm not so cute.

    uh Clem..., Sep 1, 2005
  20. I had to drive the most fashionable ride on the market in the early
    70's, a VW bus. It had something like an 8 gallon gas tank. I could fill
    up at 23.9¢ at a nearby station, running me somthing like $2 to fill up
    and it would run for about 60 years on that tank. I think that friggin
    bus might still be out there running around on some gas I bought 30
    years ago.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 1, 2005