    local computer store catalogue they're selling Doom 3 with a
    GeForce MX4000 card. Is this card likely to improve my game
    frame rates and speed? It's a 128MB card (my MX400 is 64MB).

    .P.B., Aug 15, 2004

  2. .P.B.

    Ionizer Guest

    The short answer is "yes." Doom III will give *any* system a good
    workout, and a brief Google search regarding the system requirements for
    the game will tell you that your graphics card is a huge factor. Your
    graphics card meets the minimum requirements:
    http://www.doom3portal.com/info/systemreq.php but bigger is definitely
    better: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2690450

    Unfortunately, your PIII 667 system leaves you well below the minimum
    system requirements for this game. I'm playing it on a 2.8Ghz P4, 512MB
    RAM, with a Radeon 9800Pro graphics card with the latest drivers, but when
    I let the game automatically tailor its graphics to my system, it defaults
    to the "medium" level. This game seems to require a bleeding edge system
    to display it at its best and even though you can tweak it to the
    limitations of the system it is installed on, you'll probably find that
    your CPU is not up to the task.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 16, 2004

  3. .P.B.

    Atreju Guest

    Will it improve? Yeah probably. By much? I would venture not by so
    much that it is worth buying the card just for 1 game.

    In general all the latest video cards _are_ better, but the question
    becomes: how _much_ better? You have to take into account what each
    game might be designed to do.

    For example, I used to play Half Life and Team Fortress... A LOT. I
    used to have a Diamond Viper 770.

    I now have an ATI RADEON 9600XT. Is it better? Sure, but not really
    much difference in a game like Half Life because most of what my new
    card can do HL was never designed to take advantage of.

    I have Doom3 and on that game it is phenomenal. Would my old Diamond
    have been ok? Probably ok but I can imagine not nearly as good.

    In a nutshell it is basically a cost/benefit equation. Any newer video
    technology will offer improvements, but they must be utilized within
    the software in order to make it worth it.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 16, 2004
  4. .P.B.

    Atreju Guest

    About that... just pump up all the settings on your own... on your
    card with your CPU it will handle it well. I think they're just
    keeping the defaults a bit conservative.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 16, 2004