    I always thought it was pixels, but just bought a new Canon EOS 20D and a
    few pictures still have it (not all, I shot about 200, and only about 2-3
    had it). It is really annoying. Any help?

    ag, Jul 4, 2005

  2. ag

    Mark² Guest

    Are you viewing images on a low resolution monitor?
    If so, then you could be simply be seeing the "jaggies" that come from low
    pixel-count displays.
    There is PLENTY of resolution in the image to avoid any problems with hair.
    This tells me that there's something else wrong in the way you're viewing
    your shots.

    Mark², Jul 4, 2005

  3. ag

    ag Guest

    I don't know, but I will try to print it and see. If it is the monitor, why
    wouldn't it be that way for all photos, not just a few?

    ag, Jul 4, 2005
  4. ag

    ag Guest

    Mark:
    On pictures from the older optio s4, it looks fuzzy/bad hairdo on both the
    pictures and when I print. On the EOS 20D, I can only find a few that look
    fuzzy/kinky hair on the pc, and when I do a zoom, it looks fine. So perhaps
    you are right, the "jaggies" might be from the display. It is a Dell
    inspiron 8600.

    ag, Jul 4, 2005
  5. ag

    Mark² Guest

    It may be that the s4 os applying heavy sharpening to the photo.

    I don't know...it sounds quite odd indeed.
    Even lower resultion cameras shouldn't produce this effect unless something
    is being applied to the image after the fact.

    Mark², Jul 4, 2005
  6. ag

    JPS Guest

    In message <N04ye.217$6%>,
    It's the software, not the hardware that creates jaggies, although they
    will look a bit more pronounced on an LCD, which doesn't bleed one pixel
    into the next like a CRT does.

    JPS, Jul 4, 2005
  7. ag

    ag Guest

    OK JPS. So next question: If I send the picture with the "jaggies" to be
    processed, does it come out OK?

    Thanks for all the help,

    AG.

    ag, Jul 4, 2005
  8. ag

    ag Guest

    so, JPS< when you print them, do the jaggies go away assuming you have it
    done on a high quality printer or at a photo shop?

    ag, Jul 4, 2005
  9. ag

    JPS Guest

    In message <zBcye.38874$>,
    View it at 100% zoom on the monitor, and see if it really has jaggies.

    Most graphics programs use a very fast, and simple, but low-quality
    technique to display the entire image on the screen, and that causes
    jaggies on the screen. Even $600 Photoshop does it that way. Irfanview
    (www.irfanview.com) will allow you to view full-screen, full images with
    good resampling that doesn't turn the image into a pixelized mess.

    JPS, Jul 5, 2005
  10. ag

    JPS Guest

    In message <1siye.418$>,
    Most likely; if they're not really there to begin with.

    JPS, Jul 5, 2005
  11. Also Paint Shop Pro 9 resamples correctly for display.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 5, 2005