    I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash and
    self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.

    Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?

    John, Oct 11, 2006

  2. John

    g n p Guest

    Try f/8 on a tripod, ISO100, all focal lengths, and then maybe give it back.
    Tests I've read paint a very favorable picture of this lens.

    g n p, Oct 11, 2006

  3. John

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Sounds like AF errors. How does the viewfinder image look?

    Paul Rubin, Oct 11, 2006
  4. John

    frederick Guest

    No. Unless you are doing something wrong, then either the camera or the
    lens are broken.

    frederick, Oct 11, 2006
  5. John

    JohnR66 Guest

    Switch to manual focus and see how it works. I wonder if the there is
    compatibility issues between the new Rebel model and the Sigma. I have had
    good luck with the optical quality of Sigma lenses I've used, but none were
    upgradeable to the digital cameras. One reason not to buy Sigma.

    At least give Sigma support a try.
    John

    JohnR66, Oct 11, 2006
  6. John

    John Guest

    I just got back from BestBuy after trying an experiment.

    I brought my Canon XTi so that I could try out different lenses.
    I put in a Canon zoom lens (courtesy of BestBuy) into my camera and took a
    photograph of the interior of the store. Blurry.

    I tried out the same lens on one of BestBuy's XTi's. Results much better.
    Switched back and forth a few times and my camera always came out blurry.

    I think the camera is defective.

    My camera certainly doesn't create photos like this:
    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital3/downloads/portrait.jpg

    John, Oct 11, 2006
  7. John, that lens should be fine. However, the XTi is a new camera and
    perhaps the autofocus is not compatible. Contact Sigma. I assume manual
    focus works.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 11, 2006
  8. John

    bpnjensen Guest

    ....and a good thing too - I don't know why I'd want to be able to
    examine every blemish on the side of my subject's nostrils...

    ;-)

    I hope you can get that camera replaced "toot-suite."

    Bruce

    bpnjensen, Oct 11, 2006