fully backup onto external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sylvia M, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    How do I go about accomplishing...

    I just now bought a Western Digital 160 gb external hard
    drive and want to back up my H.P. 2005 XP Media Center, such
    that I can completely start up and reinstall everything; all start-up
    functions registry, downloads and files so that my C drive gets
    back to normal if all info gets wiped out.

    Yes, I made the 'reinstall' discs, and I regularly back up the files that I
    use and create, ( zip 100s are enough for those, and in some ways more
    versatile than CD-R and DVD RWs)) but I still feel vulnerable when I hear of
    crashes caused by lightening etc. What I want is my backup complete to
    install on a tabula rosa.

    How do I go about accomplishing this?
    I understand that my desktop files can be dragged over, but I'm talking
    about all of "C' and "D"...
    Something about dividing it up?
    Do I need a program to backup my computer to a 160gb external HD?
    Is there a free one that is good?

    Plain-talk please...

    TIA

    Sylvia

    Sylvia M, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Sylvia M

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Free? Not that I'm aware of. Good? Yes. The most discussed options are
    Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. EMC Retrospect may do that - I've not
    looked close enough. Obviously others exist. Google - two things to look
    for: drive image softare and backup software. Read. Learn. Decide for
    yourself.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Sylvia M

    Otter Guest

    In
    Google on backup, and partitioning, first. Then you can ask more specific
    questions.

    There are a few free backup programs, and a few non-free that are obtainable
    free.

    Otter, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Sylvia M

    doS Guest

    Use Norton ghost to make a bootable copy on cd or dvd of your c drive.then
    make regular backups of your doscs, pics mp3s etc to the external.I save all
    my important things to an external and then to dvd as time allows.

    doS, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    If I invest in Norton Ghost, why wouldn't I back up C drive to
    the external, as well as partitioning for my docs and pics?
    Wouldn't that enable me to boot up?

    Sylvia M, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Sylvia M

    old man Guest

    You create a Image of the "whole" PC
    Personally I prefer True Image, there is a fully functioning trial at
    Acronis web site

    old man, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    Thanks O.M., I'm downloading now...Lotza kb's.
    will report back.

    Sylvia M.

    Sylvia M, Jan 22, 2007
  8. Sylvia M

    Mara Guest

    Most new hard drives have installation tools that will allow you to clone a
    drive, if that's what the OP's asking. Data Lifeguard 10 (WD) did. So does
    Maxtor (MaxBlast.) Both are free, and both work.

    Mara, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Sylvia M

    doS Guest

    until the trail expires and yur fercked

    doS, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Sylvia M

    doS Guest

    the ext. harddrive is mechanic=subject to failure also

    doS, Jan 22, 2007
  11. Sylvia M

    WhzzKdd Guest

    True - that will do the initial clone, but subsequent backups would have to
    be manual or handled by alternative software.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 22, 2007
  12. Sylvia M

    Keith Guest

    Norton Ghost is your best option for backups and their is good
    telephone support if you need it.

    Keith, Jan 22, 2007
  13. True, but most probably not at the same time as the working drive.
    Like with cdroms or dvds, for a secure backup one would need two independent
    backup media, stored in different locations.

    Walter Mautner, Jan 22, 2007
  14. Sylvia M

    Peter Guest

    Good point - saw a test recently and Acronis was the better one.
    It can do 'bare metal' recovery - I assume this means it can put the image
    on to a new HD and it'll run.

    Peter, Jan 22, 2007
  15. Sylvia M

    olfart Guest

    I've used CasperXP for quite a while. The Smart Clone reduces the time
    needed to make an image and they also have a 30 trial free trial

    olfart, Jan 22, 2007
  16. Sylvia M

    john15usa Guest

    I use Retrospect all the time and it backs up flawlessly. Had many
    problems with Acronis and failed backups and don't install anything by
    Norton anymore, but never a dud with Retrospect.

    john15usa, Jan 23, 2007
  17. Sylvia M

    supizh2 Guest

    Have no expirience with Retrospect but have troubles with Acronis too.
    I prefer Paragon Drive Backup. Once I used their trial version (30
    days) of Drive Backup and was pleased with it. Now I use the full one.
    Here
    http://www.drive-backup.com/
    you can try it.

    supizh2, Jan 26, 2007