    widescreen or fullscreen?
    Thanks for any advice
    Tom

    Tom, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Tom

    Jim Fraas Guest

    WIDESCREEN!

    Jim Fraas, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Tom

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    buy what you like. When I buy them they will be WS but you know what
    you prefer better than we do.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Tom

    Maverick Guest

    Widescreen. Trust me, you want to get the whole picture, especially when
    you're watching a film like "Raiders Of The Lost Ark".

    Maverick, Jul 7, 2003
  5. Widescreen if you want to see the whole movie.

    Fullscreen if you want to miss most of the picture.

    Ransack The Elder, Jul 7, 2003
  6. Tom

    Dan P. Guest

    That's not necessarily true you know. They could present the movie with the
    full frame and you would actually see more of the movie. But yes, using
    other techniques like Pan & Scan, you would lose alot of the picture.

    It would be more accurate to say:

    Widescreen if you want to see the movie exactly as it was seen in the
    theaters and exactly how the director intended it to be seen.
    Fullscreen if you want to miss portions of the picture and/or add on
    portions of the pictures which were never intended to be seen.

    By the way, if you want to see a good demonstration of Pan & Scan and
    techniques like this which fill a screen, check out the extra features on
    the Die Hard special edition DVD. They break down a scene showing it in
    widescreen and then showing the different techniques of filling the screen
    with the picture. I think it's very effective in persuading people not to
    buy "fullscreen" DVDs.

    Dan

    Dan P., Jul 7, 2003
  7. Actually, they couldn't. All three of the _Indiana Jones_ films were
    shot in anamorphic Panavision, meaning that the 2.40:1 image *is* the
    full negative: there isn't any additional image above or below the
    theatrical framing.

    On an anamorphic widescreen film, there are no mattes to open: pan-and-
    scan is the *only* way to fill a 4:3 TV screen with the image.

    See <http://www.widescreen.org/examples/last_crusade/index.shtml> for
    some examples.

    HTH,

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Jul 7, 2003
  8. Tom

    Matt Fuerst Guest

    Not to defend the fan of widescreen, but I think a man as smart as you knew
    that he was likely talking "in general", and specifically about movies
    filmed in the Academy Ratio of 1.33:1.

    Now you were correct in pointing out that the Indy series isn't one of those
    examples.. but let's just inform everyone of the potential options out
    there.

    Matt, who was pleasantly surprised by The Ring presentation in Full Frame
    when I was jonsing for my fix and couldn't find the Widescreen anywhere
    www.jackasscritics.com

    Matt Fuerst, Jul 7, 2003
  9. Tom

    John Moore Guest

    You don't know what you're talking about if you're referring to RAIDERS.

    John

    John Moore, Jul 7, 2003
  10. Tom

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Tom, says...

    In the case of the Indy movies, you will be missing aprox. 40% of the
    picture if you go for the full screen version. Also, in a few years when
    you buy and new TV and it is widescreen, you'll be really pissed that
    you have black or grey bars on the sides of the picture. The combination
    of seeing less of the movie, and still having bars on screen, makes the
    fullscreen version a total waste in the long run.

    Mark Spatny, Jul 8, 2003
  11. Eric R. () previously said the following crap:
    You have got to be kidding? Please... tell me this is a joke.
    I mean... why on Earth - or anywhere else for that matter,
    would you want 50% of the film missing?

    I just hope you are joking.....

    --
    The Demolition Man