    juicyjuice Guest

    'credibility' ? I don't remember him having any in the first place lol
    and the same could be said of a Windows network of 21 years in development.

    juicyjuice, Nov 1, 2006

  2. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Mmm, that's true.
    Indeed, but I'm sure only the dopey ones would be saying that
    sysadmins didn't need to worry about security.

    Hint to Ma: ALL sysadmins have to worry about security. That's what
    they're paid to worry about. Do you think that Cisco admins don't? Or
    Cray admins? What about big iron admins (eg zSeries, Burroughs, etc)?
    They're a hell of a lot more secure than Linux - do you think their
    admins don't have to worry about security either? Silly twat.

    Fred Dagg, Nov 1, 2006

  3. T'was the Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:33:29 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    We crow about how computers are still inherently unsecure and need
    constant focus to always secure them, but isn't it always a goal to
    have machines that are nearly inherently secure? I think we approach
    limits of security in things like ATMs and Gambling machines which
    always seem secure to me (though I did see that recent thing in the
    news about someone hacking into mini-ATMs because the owner didn't
    change the default passwords).

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 2, 2006
  4. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Yup, but the reason ATMs and Gambling Machines are secure is because
    admins have secured them, and stay on top of the latest trends in
    security and vulnerabilities etc.

    Fred Dagg, Nov 2, 2006
  5. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    True - VBA doesn't work with OOo.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Let's just say I know what capabilities are available in the range of
    advanced languages usable for OpenOffice scripting. And the managers of the
    project do too. But it's quite clear you don't.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2006
  7. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    The project is going full steam ahead, after having done an extensive
    evalution period very carefully evaluating many options.

    Why else would an organisation as big as that green-light such a
    large-scale project as upgrading 14000 desktops from WinNT4 to Linux?

    Over the next 5 years alone Munich will save an absolute fortune in
    software rental charges for volume licences of M$ Office & M$ Windows.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 2, 2006
  8. MaHogany

    jasen Guest

    no he saying there's no need to be fearfull if you have been careful.
    what a ridiculous misinterpretation.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Nov 2, 2006
  9. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Maybe you should re-read his comments...

    Fred Dagg, Nov 2, 2006
  10. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    LiMux developers are thinking outside the OO box, which you seem to
    have a hard time doing. They are creating whatever applications they
    need, using whatever programming language is suitable, to replicate
    what is now done with MSOffice/VBA -- and then some. WollMux, for
    example -- not something you create with OO but rather something that
    can be custom-made to work with OO to accomplish things that the OO
    developers themselves never thought about. As usual, your one-eyed
    perspective on things makes you a poor OS advocate.

    impossible, Nov 2, 2006
  11. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    Because they think they've got it right, I'd say. Why else would tens
    of thousands of similiarly-sized organizations choose instead to
    upgrade to XP and Vista? Because they think they've got it right. I
    see no purpose now in preempting a good discussion about an
    interesting test case by conflating belief with fact. The facts about
    LiMux will be clear to everyone by mid-2009 (give or take). Don't be
    so impatient.
    I think you'll find that volume-license costs were a negligible factor
    in Munich's decision. See:

    http://www.ssrc.org/wiki/POSA/index.php?title=LiMux—Free_Software_for_Munich

    Besides, other cities have looked at the Total Cost of Ownership and
    decided that a move to Linux was a bad idea for them after all:

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6112306.html

    impossible, Nov 2, 2006
  12. MaHogany

    Shane Guest

    Because they have been contracted to upgrade to vista

    --
    Glermo: Hey! I don't pay you to sing! You just used up today's bathroom
    break.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Nov 2, 2006
  13. MaHogany

    jasen Guest

    If you want to plat childish word games you can play with yourself.

    jasen, Nov 2, 2006
  14. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    My god, it's another idiot.

    I must say, it's quite surprising how many morons there are around at
    the moment. I guess it was bound to happen, as more and more kids
    discover the Internet. The price we pay for providing computers to
    remedial students, I guess.

    Fred Dagg, Nov 2, 2006
  15. T'was the Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:04:35 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    Lame retort there. Let's face it, the kids discovering the internet
    are probably more interested in social networking websites like
    MySpace than nz.comp...

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 3, 2006
  16. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Really? I thought it was quite a good one, actually...
    Well, "Jasen" has proved you wrong, I guess. Odd really. Most people
    whose name actually is "jasen" spell it "jason", but I guess that's
    what you get from braindead morons...

    Fred Dagg, Nov 3, 2006
  17. MaHogany

    Earl Grey Guest

    Or it might be his name, and you might be a braindead moron

    Lets vote
    Jasen 1
    Fred Dagg 0

    Earl Grey, Nov 3, 2006
  18. T'was the Fri, 03 Nov 2006 19:38:58 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    Haha, I've heard better. Try some of The Daily Show, seriously, that
    stuff is hilarious. It'd be great to see someone like that take aim of
    the politicians here, I still remember
    Dover-Samuels-Pissed-In-A-Hallway-Gate. Now there's Thai-Worker-Gate,
    and One-Million-Dollar-Gate, seems to be a bad time for Labour, and I
    *like* those guys.

    Then again, National creeps me out.

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 3, 2006
  19. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    So you're voting that Jasen is a braindead moron and I'm not? Cheers!

    Fred Dagg, Nov 3, 2006
  20. MaHogany

    Earl Grey Guest

    I don't think so