    appropriately.

    Any Linux Admin (or any Sysadmin at all) who tries to say that they
    don't have to worry about security is a fool.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 31, 2006

  2. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    The only real solution to M$ Windows is to reformat /dev/hda and install
    a superior, non-M$ OS.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 31, 2006

  3. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    Better to use a "good enough" package on a secure and robust platform than
    to use a package known to be a virus transmission vector on a system that
    is released by a company that is known for it's inability to produce
    secure software.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 31, 2006
  4. MaHogany

    NilEinne Guest

    Well actually I've heard it works on Wine and it definitely works on
    Crossover Office (that's one of it's major selling points and the
    reason for it's name). Now obviously it's not native this is an added
    complexity which could cause no end of problems and MS is also trying
    to prevent people using it on Wine/Crossover Office via technical and
    legal means but it does work.

    Also, I'm pretty sure some versions of MS Office work on Mac OS X
    natively (which is a pretty crappy OS but it is still *BSD at it's core
    so it's still *nix)...

    NilEinne, Oct 31, 2006
  5. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    I wonder how long it took them to get those 300 applications usable on the
    M$ platforms. So I suppose 1 year is a very small period of time to
    migrate 300 applications.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 31, 2006
  6. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    OO macros are is to VBA as posting a link is to saying something.
    Weak, round-about, small domain of usefulness. I assume that the
    Munich project leaders are not going to confine themselves to working
    in the OO framework but will instead draw on other programming and
    application resources to accomplish what they need. After all, this is
    a project intended to showcase open-source development, not any
    particular open-source tool. OO is what it is, a pale imitation of MS
    Office, and the main stumbling block that the promoters of this
    project faced was the perception that end-users would balk. But with a
    35 million Euro budget, you can almost certainly work around these
    problems, and that's the argument that won the day.

    impossible, Oct 31, 2006
  7. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    Mid-2009 minus mid-2006. I think that's 3 years. And the actual goal
    is to get just 80% of those 300 applications ready to run on Linux.
    Because these are proprietary applications, the main work is being
    thrown back on the application vendors, on whom Munich will remain
    dependant for the foreseeable future.

    impossible, Oct 31, 2006
  8. MaHogany

    Shane Guest

    Im sure we could speculate all day how it got started
    But the point is, even running as unprivileged users across our network
    makes no difference to the continued propagation

    Thats a different song to "If there is spyware, viruses etc getting onto
    your windows network, then you are not actively securing your windows
    network, why just continue cleaning everytime this happens, fix it/lock
    it!"

    Shane, Oct 31, 2006
  9. MaHogany

    Earl Grey Guest

    Do you have some references to these proprietary applications ?

    Earl Grey, Oct 31, 2006
  10. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Nov 1, 2006
  11. What do you actually know about the capabilities of OpenOffice scripting
    versus that in Microsoft Office?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2006
  12. MaHogany

    juicyjuice Guest

    I could easily compile a list of things but who really cares, and I have a
    habit of taking threads off-topic which i'm trying to stop, but to name one,
    I hate it how it handles bulleting/numbering.

    juicyjuice, Nov 1, 2006
  13. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    3 years to migrate 240 programs from one platform to another sounds very
    reasonable to me.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 1, 2006
  14. MaHogany

    steve Guest

    Having used Linux as my primary OS for over 6 years now, any reality
    that says Windows is inevitable is one I know, from personal experience,
    to be non-operative.

    Munich will happy provided it does what they need it to do.

    A tool has to be fit for use.

    The myth is that Windows is the ONLY tool.

    steve, Nov 1, 2006
  15. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    I suppose the "no end of problems" would be no different from the problems
    that M$ Office users would experience on Windows.

    I mean, how many people would think that the M$ Outlook "Out of Office
    Assistant" is a DLL "plugin" that Outlook will disable if M$ Outlook
    crashes.

    And of course *where* is the place for resetting this nonsense?

    By clicking on "help" and then "about" and then on this other button of
    which it's label I can't recall just now.

    Why aren't those settings located under >edit>preferences>plugins (a
    logical place) or >tools>plugins>options (an illogical M$ place)?

    It's as if that "feature" was an afterthought and there was nowhere else
    to put it.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 1, 2006
  16. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    You don't understand that sort of statement.

    *nix admins truly don't have to worry - the systems and processes and
    software that is available on a *nix system has had 37 years of
    development and refinement behind it and is still being actively
    maintained. The Systems Administrator who does not use the tried and
    proven *nix network and server security systems should be sacked for not
    using that which is known to work!

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 1, 2006
  17. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    My god!! You're actually saying that Linux Admins don't need to worry
    about security!!!

    Well, that's your credibility right down the drain. You've just proven
    the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

    What a ridiculous statement.

    Fred Dagg, Nov 1, 2006
  18. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    Just what I said. That OO scripting is not a substitute for VBA. Maybe
    you know something that the LiMux project managers don't?

    impossible, Nov 1, 2006
  19. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    Agreed, but then you might want to wait a year or so before
    proclaiming "full steam ahead". The Little Engine That Could is
    chugging along right now, but it's at the bottom of the hill, not the
    top.

    impossible, Nov 1, 2006
  20. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    Nah, no one's ever made that claim. The issue is whether or not
    open-source develepment solves the tool-making problem, and with the
    inauguration of LiMux we now have a test case to evaluate. Munich will
    be happy if the project there comes in on time, on budget, and
    performs to expectations. So will a lot of other potential OS
    customers. But snippets of PR that mythologolize the migration process
    as a walk in the park -- "I am not a computer geek, but I must admit
    that it was easy to switch to the new software" -- are unlikely to
    figure much in anyone's calculations. Not mine, at least.

    impossible, Nov 1, 2006