    completed. Until then, it's just a Linux good-news fest. Bliss for
    you, because you get to suspend reality for a time. But these are
    really tacky articles.

    impossible, Oct 30, 2006

  2. MaHogany

    Shane Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    Apparently training for Microsoft products costs nothing

    Shane, Oct 30, 2006

  3. MaHogany

    Earl Grey Guest

    Mein Gott !!!
    Munich is run by 12 year olds ?????

    Earl Grey, Oct 30, 2006
  4. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Ho ho.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 30, 2006
  5. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    It's actually better than M$ Office. NO version of M$ Office can work on
    ANY *nix platform, but Open Office works on all major platforms.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006
  6. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    Windows boxen even when "locked down" in a large corporation can and DO
    get infected by viruses and trogans - sometimes even by the user merely
    looking at a website using M$IE.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006
  7. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    Good grief! Agreed!

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006
  8. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    Hey - he's not Patrick Dunford!

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006
  9. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Believe it or not, I'm actually a great fan of cross-platform
    software.

    However, OOo is a dog. It could run on my Canon Printer for all I
    care, it's still a dog.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 30, 2006
  10. MaHogany

    Phil Guest

    MaHogany wrote, On 10/30/06 8:23 PM:
    So being platform-agnostic instantly makes something far superior? What
    about speed, features, workflow integration, ease of use?
    And I seem to recall a company making a living off making Office run on
    Linux.

    -Phil

    Phil, Oct 30, 2006
  11. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    Better a working "dog" than software that doesn't work on your platform.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006
  12. MaHogany

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Whilst that might be true, in an enterprise environment, it is simply
    not acceptable to have staff using a "dog". Better to check the
    ideology at the door, and use a superior office package on the
    platform it runs on.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 30, 2006
  13. MaHogany

    Earl Grey Guest

    Not having Microsoft Office doesn't seem to be a showstopper for the
    Munich project.
    Perhaps MSOffice isn't their primary concern. They don't use mailmerge
    to send out the rates bill.
    Policy document collaboration has been revolutionized by the wiki, which
    is platform independent, MSOffice is a replication of the obsolete typed
    document metaphor, and I remember during my time in local government
    that it was very difficult to shift non computer literate administrators
    out of the mindset of books and trays of paper memos, generated in Word,
    to use database booking methods for council facilities.
    The crown jewels for a city administration is their databases and asset
    management. Often accessed with Citrix

    Earl Grey, Oct 30, 2006
  14. MaHogany

    juicyjuice Guest

    Agreed.

    Is there no requirement with Linux systems to actively maintain security?
    If there is spyware, viruses etc getting onto your windows network, then you
    are not actively securing your windows network, why just continue cleaning
    everytime this happens, fix it/lock it!

    juicyjuice, Oct 30, 2006
  15. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    Doing without Microsoft Office is part of the experiment. We'll see
    how that works out. There are certainly other ways of accomplishing
    tasks now automated in Word, Excel, and Outlook (mail merge is just
    one small feature of that). But OpenOffice won't do it -- if there's
    any application that 's stuck in the "typed document metaphor" it's
    OO, which has none of the power of VBA to integrate data analysis,
    document preparation, and communication/collaboration. MS Office, not
    the wiki, revolutionized the way much of this work is accomplished,
    and as best I can tell Munich is simply going to try to reinvent the
    wheel here with other tools. Platform independence is the goal, not
    process innovation -- project organizers have their hands full just
    trying to get 300 other proprietary applications to work on Linux the
    way they've always worked on Windows, and that's going to take them
    until mid-2009 by the last estimate I saw.

    impossible, Oct 31, 2006
  16. MaHogany

    Shane Guest

    At wintec, we currently are experiencing a *nightmare*
    In the past fortnight there has been a major viral infestation, which has
    resulted in entire rooms computers becoming unusable.
    Nobody is running as administrator, yet these viruses are propogating.
    I'm fairly pissed off, last week I was unable to do my database class,
    because the virus scanners were choking the cpu (200+ viruses detected on
    my machine alone :-\)
    I couldnt use the drop in lab because of the same.
    Programming this week has been a non-event, as the virus/defence mechanisms
    have prevented us running Borland.
    Further, some clever twits idea of securing the Active Directory was to
    prevent us reading our own files
    Permissions were also changed to prevent us running code over the network
    (ie. code stored on the shared drive could not be compiled locally)

    All this, because we run as unprivileged users (you know, the way we are
    recommended to to avoid this kind of mess)

    Was this a deliberate infection, very likely
    Could this infection have started accidentally, in the world where a web
    browser is so stupidly locked to the kernel, it provides a vector for root
    privileges, sadly so

    From where I sit, Microsofts products are a fscking joke.
    I have 2.5 weeks left in this semester, and 4 weeks worth of work to catch
    up on, not counting the exams to prep for

    The only lab where I am not having problems, is the Cisco lab, where funnily
    enough, I am running as admin!!!

    --
    Fry: I'm doing my job—there's Amy. I spend a few hours selecting a candy
    from the machine—there's Amy. I wake up the morning after sleeping with Am

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Oct 31, 2006
  17. MaHogany

    juicyjuice Guest

    Ouch, that is sad :(
    For that kind of infection though, the person who did it, would have hacked
    out of their under-privallaged account or group policy allowed the spread or
    the infection started physically on the server ?
    With enough determination, (200 odd viruses is a very determined attack) I'm
    sure if he had targeted with intelligence other OS networks, there would be
    an equal nightmare if those networks were also attacked with root
    permissions, and quite possibly with physical access (maybe a disgruntled
    employee launched this attack before leaving?) ...

    juicyjuice, Oct 31, 2006
  18. MaHogany

    juicyjuice Guest

    Agreed.
    I do look forward to the outcome, I would prefer more compatible
    alternatives to MS Office anyday =) Personally I absolutely loath office and
    only use it as I have to.

    juicyjuice, Oct 31, 2006
  19. MaHogany

    impossible Guest

    I'd love to see alternatives to MS Office myself. But something at
    least as powerful. Just out of curiosity, what is that you do with MS
    Office and what is it that you "loathe" about it.

    impossible, Oct 31, 2006
  20. Don't know much about it, do you?
    <http://framework.openoffice.org/scripting/>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 31, 2006