  1. Scott Mitchell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    You meant to say a washroom/popcorn break right?

    Lucas Tam, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Scott Mitchell

    ThePunisher Guest

    But what if the 1.78:1 dvd version of a 2.35:1 cinema film is the directors
    intended version?

    ThePunisher, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Scott Mitchell

    Jag Guest

    : wrote:
    :>
    :> [snip]
    :>
    :> > AFAIAC, it's not about choice, but about artistic integrity. If
    :> > everyone had widescreen TVs tomorrow no one would even consider
    :> > buying a P&S version of a film ever again.
    :>
    :> Sadly 1.78:1 P&S versions of 2.35:1 films are starting to show up :(
    :>
    :>
    :> /Lars
    :
    : But what if the 1.78:1 dvd version of a 2.35:1 cinema film is the directors
    : intended version?

    What do you mean? If they wanted that they would shoot it for a 1.85:1
    theatrical presentation, presumably. Or was this a stab at how some
    directors frame their shots or something?

    /Lars

    Jag, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Scott Mitchell

    Skid Guest

    You're not only ignorant, you're a racist to boot. But then, the two usually
    do go together.

    There's a pretty long list of nations the U.S. has gone to war with over the
    years, and today we do a lot of business with all of them. You still
    fighting the Civil War too?

    Go buy one of those great American brand names like GE or RCA, and then
    check to see where they were made and who provided the parts.

    Curtis Mathes is sold at K-Mart, a once-proud brand nobody else carries at a
    store about to go bankrupt. By the way, we once fought a war with Mexico,
    where many of the Curtis Mathes TVs are assembled from Japanese parts.

    As for that proud American brand, Emerson, you must be joking. Ever hear of
    Sansui?

    Anybody who watches pan and scan movies on a TV bought because it matches
    their end table is a fool. Everything you've posted so far confirms that
    diagnosis.

    Many of the people in this newsgroup know a lot more about TV sets than the
    salesman you looked in the eye, and he was probably laughing at you the
    second you turned your back.

    Skid, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Scott Mitchell

    Mark Jones Guest

    Neither of these countries is Japan. Go back to the 3rd grade
    and take geography over.

    You better hope your current TV lasts forever.

    Mark Jones, Sep 26, 2003
  6. He means when a director's preferred aspect ratio is different to the
    theatrical one, as in Criterion's Robocop (1.66 instead of 1.85) or Elite's
    Evil Dead (1.33 instead of 1.85).

    The Unnaturalist.

    The Unnaturalist, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Scott Mitchell

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : > It wasn't required to prove you also had the bad taste to
    : > buy a REALLY bad television.
    :
    : Look, some people buy TV's based on "screen resolution" and what kind
    : of "video inputs" they have and crap like that. They run out and buy
    : some chop-socky brand of TV made by some company whose name I can't
    : even pronounce--some company that's owned by a guy whose father
    : probably helped bomb Pearl Harbor.
    :
    : As for me, I like to look the TV salesman right in the eye and listen
    : to what he has to say. I like a TV with features, sure. But I also
    : like one that matches the cherry finish of my end table. I want a TV
    : with a real American name, a name like "Curtis Mathis" or "Emerson",
    : some kind of English name so I know it's made in America.
    :
    : Now, you can make fun of me all you want to. You can even call it "bad
    : taste" if you want. But, I'll tell you what. One of my uncles didn't
    : die in either Korea or Vietnam to have me go out and buy a damn
    : Japanese TV. And that's just the way I feel.
    :
    ======================================
    So you must buy Korean sets then?

    Richard C., Sep 26, 2003
  8. In
    Its not that hard to pronounce Sony now is it?
    And I would tell you if I was the salesman that good brands are Sony,
    Hitatchi, JVC, Panasonic, etc etc etc....
    Yeah, that K-Mart brand "Curtis Mathis" is so American made with its
    Mexico labor and Japan parts. Good grief I never thought anyone could
    be this bad.....
    You must still think that the Russians are commies too eh?

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 27, 2003
  9. In
    Considering the fact the last time I went into one there
    was a whopping FIVE customers other than me at 5 PM,
    I wouldn't be surprised.....

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 27, 2003
  10. In
    Only people who own Martha Stewart aka Curtis Mathis TVs that
    they bought from K-Mart. ;-)

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 27, 2003
  11. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    You are an assuming idiot. It is not an equal division, dingbat.

    The number is "Up to 42%..."
    This part is 100% correct.

    DarkMatter, Sep 27, 2003
  12. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    Get a clue.

    DarkMatter, Sep 27, 2003
  13. Scott Mitchell

    Jag Guest

    : :
    :> What do you mean? If they wanted that they would shoot it for a 1.85:1
    :> theatrical presentation, presumably. Or was this a stab at how some
    :> directors frame their shots or something?
    :
    : He means when a director's preferred aspect ratio is different to the
    : theatrical one, as in Criterion's Robocop (1.66 instead of 1.85) or Elite's
    : Evil Dead (1.33 instead of 1.85).

    There's a pretty big difference between those and the example that
    was given...

    /Lars

    Jag, Sep 27, 2003
  14. No apology necessary, Jerry: I honestly don't know what he meant. (I'm
    just wondering whether *he* knew what he meant.)

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 27, 2003
  15. Scott Mitchell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    :

    Or I guess the Simpson's Season Collection... but that's an exception too!

    Lucas Tam, Sep 29, 2003
  16. Scott Mitchell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    I was replying to an idiot... so I gave an answer an idiot will understand!

    Lucas Tam, Sep 29, 2003
  17. Scott Mitchell

    Me Again Guest

    Because wasting space on a DVD for an apect ratio I won't watch is not
    what I want. I own a 73711 and can't abide poor quality DVDs made
    that way because they've stuffed two entire movies on the same DVD as
    well as alot of fluffy extras.

    Widescreen anamorphic (not letterbox) all the way. Get used to it.

    Me Again, Oct 3, 2003