    back and put into a Cabinet that was "Made In USA".

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct

    buck, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Not all of us have big widescreen or anamorphic TV's, Daddy Warbucks.
    think they call it FULLscreen?

    I'm reminded of the old cartoon in which two kids are negotiating a trade. The
    bigger kid says, "Now I've got a GREAT BIG nickel here, and you've got a LITTLE
    BITTY dime. Tell you what I'm gonna do..." Somehow, I think you were the
    little kid in that cartoon.
    anamorphic enhancement and s-video inputs.

    You obviously also have an American public-school education, in that you can't
    tell the difference between a square and a rectangle.
    The voice of experience, apparently.
    Yep, and about the only way to make it crappier is to cut off 40% of the
    picture.

    John Larrabee
    Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
    http://laurelandhardycentral.com

    (To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")

    "Exit, pursued by a bear"

    John Larrabee, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    I respond because I wish to, not because of anything your lame,
    wussy, baby bullshit excuse for a human ass does.

    You're a retard, boy!

    DarkMatter, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    Try buying online!

    DarkMatter, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Scott Mitchell

    Mark Jones Guest

    You must get lied to a lot.

    Mark Jones, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Not all of us have big widescreen or anamorphic TV's, Daddy Warbucks.
    Because the only thing filled is the screen. The actual movie remains
    significantly less than complete.

    You might be interested in seeing the comparisons at www.widescreen.org
    for a visual aid.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Scott Mitchell

    Richard C. Guest

    : > Why do these fools keep coming in here and insisting that putting both versions
    on a
    : > disc would make "everyone" happy?
    : > The only people it would make happy are the compromising fill-the-screen mouth
    : > breathers.
    :
    : If they still pressed "flipper" discs (with P&S on one side and WS on
    : the other), then I think that this will make most (but certainly not
    : all!) people happy.

    ===============
    You think wrongly!
    ================

    :
    : I, personally, like separate P&S and WS releases, so I can have the
    : artwork on my WS disc that you wouldn't get with a "flipper."

    ================
    Now you have it right.....
    =================

    : The
    : only issue I have with separate P&S issues is that K-Mart and Wal-Mart
    : (the local stores in my area) oftentimes only stock the P&S version,
    : so I have to travel an hour to a Best Buy or Circuit City to get the
    : WS version.
    :
    ==================
    TELL them!

    Richard C., Sep 26, 2003
  8. Scott Mitchell

    Richard C. Guest

    : In : Eric R. <> said in a panic:
    : > (Smaug69) wrote in message
    : >
    : >> Anyone who wants to have the P&S version of a film over the original
    : >> aspect ratio doesn't deserve to have a DVD player, IMHO.
    : >
    : > Not all of us have big widescreen or anamorphic TV's, Daddy Warbucks.
    : > Personally, I prefer fullscreen versions and don't care about
    : > so-called "anamorphic enhancement."
    :
    : Your nuts.

    ====================
    You can see them?
    ==================

    : Do you even care about seeing the whole picture instead?
    : If you do then you should educate yourself a little.
    :
    : http://www.widescreen.org <--- I suggest your start there.
    :
    : >
    : >> But I have no
    : >> control over how things get released.
    : >
    : > Thank God.
    :
    : Yeah, because I wouldn't want things your way.
    :
    : >> AFAIAC, it's not about choice, but about artistic integrity. If
    : >> everyone had widescreen TVs tomorrow no one would even consider
    : >> buying a P&S version of a film ever again.
    : >
    : > Yeah well, if you'll send me a couple of thousand bucks to buy a
    : > widescreen TV, I'd probably be more inclined to worry about "artistic
    : > integritry." Until then, the only integrity I'm worried about is the
    : > integrity of the wood grain cabinet of my 25" Curtis Mathis console
    : > TV.
    :
    : So? I have a 27 inch Sony and guess what... I still watch Widescreen
    : films on it. TV size DOES NOT matter, its the intent of the film makers
    : is what should be important. I'm not even entertained at the thought of
    : watching any film that is missing up to 50%. Hell, how about a really
    : grand film like "Ben Hur." Have you ever seen how much of that film
    : gets cut off on the P&S version? Its beyond unwatchable at that point.
    :
    : --
    : Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    :
    :

    Richard C., Sep 26, 2003
  9. Scott Mitchell

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : > > Not all of us have big widescreen or anamorphic TV's, Daddy Warbucks.
    : > > Personally, I prefer fullscreen versions and don't care about
    : > > so-called "anamorphic enhancement."
    : >
    : > Your nuts. Do you even care about seeing the whole picture instead?
    :
    : Yeah, I do. That's why I want to see fullscreen. Get it? Why do you
    : think they call it FULLscreen?

    ============================
    Guess what!

    You are NOT seeing the whole picture as shown in the theaters.
    Sometimes you are losing almost HALF the picture with your Full screen crap!
    =========================
    :
    : > So? I have a 27 inch Sony and guess what... I still watch Widescreen
    : > films on it.
    :
    : Yeah, well I have an *American* TV, not some Toyota-vision with fancy
    : anamorphic enhancement and s-video inputs.

    =========================
    Your lack of knowledge about things is showing.
    =========================
    :
    : > TV size DOES NOT matter
    :
    : Size DOES matter. And any woman who tells you otherwise is a damn
    : liar.

    =======================
    You must have a lot of dissapointment in these matters.
    ==================
    :
    : > Hell, how about a really
    : > grand film like "Ben Hur."
    :
    : What about a really crappy one like Phantom Menace?
    :
    ===============================
    What about it?
    ==================

    Richard C., Sep 26, 2003
  10. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    Is it twoo... what they say???

    OOOhhhh..... It's twooo... it's TWOO!!!

    DarkMatter, Sep 26, 2003
  11. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    Yes. Flipper discs are extremely lame.
    Wall Mart did wise up a little bit. K-Mart never did embrace DVD
    that much. I have seen stores where they were all jammed into a
    display counter, and the titles couldn't even be viewed. One had to
    ask for a given title, then a list was referenced, THEN the case was
    opened, and THEN they checked for available copies of discs.

    Very lame.

    DarkMatter, Sep 26, 2003
  12. In
    Then the Widescreen version will work just fine. :)
    American TV? What is that?
    I said TV size, not schlong size.
    I said "Ben Hur" not some George Lucas CGI ad that tried
    to pawn itself as a film.

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 26, 2003
  13. Scott Mitchell

    Richard C. Guest

    : >
    : Wall Mart did wise up a little bit. K-Mart never did embrace DVD
    : that much. I have seen stores where they were all jammed into a
    : display counter, and the titles couldn't even be viewed. One had to
    : ask for a given title, then a list was referenced, THEN the case was
    : opened, and THEN they checked for available copies of discs.
    :
    : Very lame.
    ===============
    And K-Mart is dying...................

    Richard C., Sep 26, 2003
  14. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    Indeed.

    DarkMatter, Sep 26, 2003
  15. Scott Mitchell

    Smaug69 Guest

    I hate to be the one to tell you, but he played you guys for suckers.
    He is no more an advocate of fullscreen than I am for advocating Max
    Christofferson as an intelligent, sincere human being. He was probably
    bored and decided to have a little fun with me.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 26, 2003
  16. Scott Mitchell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Ummm no. Because to store both versions on a DVD would waste space (hence
    degrade picture quality). Also, who watches the full screen version
    anyways?!

    Lucas Tam, Sep 26, 2003
  17. Scott Mitchell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (jayembee) wrote in
    Widescreen or not, they look fine on a big TV : )

    Lucas Tam, Sep 26, 2003
  18. Scott Mitchell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in @posting.google.com:
    You don't need an anamorphic TV to watch widescreen DVDs! Your DVD player
    should be able to size the picture for you.

    Lucas Tam, Sep 26, 2003
  19. Scott Mitchell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in @posting.google.com:
    Actually 2/3 of the picture is chopped out in a full screen DVD..

    i.e.

    |---|xxxxx|---|

    You realize you're only getting the xxxxx portion of the video, the --- are
    missing. It really degrades to the overall enjoyment of the movie...
    because you feel like you have tunnel vision.

    Lucas Tam, Sep 26, 2003
  20. Scott Mitchell

    Eric R. Guest

    Look, some people buy TV's based on "screen resolution" and what kind
    of "video inputs" they have and crap like that. They run out and buy
    some chop-socky brand of TV made by some company whose name I can't
    even pronounce--some company that's owned by a guy whose father
    probably helped bomb Pearl Harbor.

    As for me, I like to look the TV salesman right in the eye and listen
    to what he has to say. I like a TV with features, sure. But I also
    like one that matches the cherry finish of my end table. I want a TV
    with a real American name, a name like "Curtis Mathis" or "Emerson",
    some kind of English name so I know it's made in America.

    Now, you can make fun of me all you want to. You can even call it "bad
    taste" if you want. But, I'll tell you what. One of my uncles didn't
    die in either Korea or Vietnam to have me go out and buy a damn
    Japanese TV. And that's just the way I feel.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 26, 2003