    club. STOP BUYING DVD'S UNTIL THEY PUT BOTH FORMATS ON ONE. I don't
    care if it costs a few dollars more...money in the bank at a later
    date. scott mitchell

    Scott Mitchell, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Scott Mitchell

    Biz Guest

    I agree with you as long as the only version available is the Original
    Aspect Ratio when it comes to movies, and the intended aspect ratio for
    released tv content. Remember that including both the original version and
    the bastardized version on the same disk can potentially take up space that
    could have been put to better use for extras....

    Biz, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Scott Mitchell

    Mark Jones Guest

    No way. I do not need to spend the extra money because
    I already have a 65 inch HDTV. Buy the widescreen DVD
    regardless of your TV aspect ratio and watch the entire
    movie, instead of just part of it.

    Even a widescreen TV will have the black bars on many
    movies, so you may as well get used to it.

    Mark Jones, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Who, exactly, "can't afford widescreen"? It hasn't been my experience
    that widescreen DVDs generally cost any more than their cropped or
    open-matte counterparts.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Scott Mitchell

    Richard C. Guest

    : I feel I was one of millions who helped kill DIVX...why can't
    : we all agree to stop buying DVD's untill they put both formats on the
    : same DVD. It works very well and the studios know it. They just want
    : to sell the same DVD twice, when those of us that can't afford
    : widescreen buy one and then have to buy another DVD. The technology
    : is there as there are many 2-sided DVD's with both formats. Can't we
    : have both and please everyone? Just like the high price of CD's, the
    : coming of gold CD's, buying CD's when we had cassettes, buying
    : cassettes when we had LP's. They continue to rape us and we have the
    : club. STOP BUYING DVD'S UNTIL THEY PUT BOTH FORMATS ON ONE. I don't
    : care if it costs a few dollars more...money in the bank at a later
    : date. scott mitchell

    ================================
    Sorry...........I usually REFUSE to buy DVDs that have both.

    OAR is all that is necessary. You can watch widescreen on ANY TV.
    ==============================

    Richard C., Sep 24, 2003
  6. Can't afford widescreen? Are you under the mistaken impression that you
    need a widescreen tv to enjoy widescreen DVDs?

    The technology
    No, we can't have both. It wastes space on the disc, degrading picture
    quality. Pan and scan must be rubbed out until it's a vague memory,
    something our grandkids won't believe people used to accept.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Scott Mitchell

    Smaug69 Guest

    You are talking about aspect ratios not formats. DVD is the format.
    Anyone who wants to have the P&S version of a film over the original
    aspect ratio doesn't deserve to have a DVD player, IMHO. But I have no
    control over how things get released.
    What do you mean by "can't afford to buy widescreen?" Widescreen what?
    Certainly you don't mean widescreen DVDs since there is no price
    difference between a widescreen DVD and a fullscreen/P&S DVD.
    I only care about the film being in its OAR. So if a DVD is released
    that is not the OAR I ignore it. And I don't care about having a P&S
    version on my discs if they are taking up space that could be used for
    a DTS soundtrack or other extra features.

    AFAIAC, it's not about choice, but about artistic integrity. If
    everyone had widescreen TVs tomorrow no one would even consider buying
    a P&S version of a film ever again.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Scott Mitchell

    Jag Guest

    [snip]

    : AFAIAC, it's not about choice, but about artistic integrity. If
    : everyone had widescreen TVs tomorrow no one would even consider buying
    : a P&S version of a film ever again.

    Sadly 1.78:1 P&S versions of 2.35:1 films are starting to show up :(

    /Lars

    Jag, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Oy! Not this freaking discussion again!!!

    Welcome to my kill file Mr. Mitchell!

    *PLONK*

    Michael Black, Sep 24, 2003
  10. Yes, the Korean DVD of Taxi 3 is 1.78 P/S, for example.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Sep 24, 2003
  11. Can't say that I agree with you. I've been buying WS DVDs since day 1,
    and I'm quite happy. I also don't feel the need to buy any of my DVDs
    again, since I am quite happy with the aspect ratio I got the first time.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 24, 2003
  12. Scott Mitchell

    yachtboy! Guest

    I've got 3 tvs, a 25 inch, 20 inch, and a 13 inch. I have no problem
    watching widescreen on any of them.
    Why not start out by buying the widescreen to begin with?

    ==========
    "Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
    guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
    salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis

    "Destiny has a strange sense of humor..." K. Honeycutt
    ----------
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/psychedelic.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

    "He not busy being born is busy dying..." B. Dylan

    =======================

    yachtboy!, Sep 24, 2003
  13. Scott Mitchell

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Because that extra space can be used for bonus features that people
    will actually watch. Fans of pan and scan can be educated to like
    widescreen, but die hard pan and scan people will never watch the
    widescreen version and vice versa.

    Why waste the space on the disc with a version nobody is going to
    watch when it can be put to good use?

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Scott Mitchell

    Smaug69 Guest

    Yeah, I noticed a couple of those. That's just sad.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Scott Mitchell

    DarkMatter Guest

    Said the TOTAL usenet retard. You have added to your stupidity
    here, boy. Kill filter edit announcements are even MORE lame than top
    posting usenet twits. You have a higher rank on the lowlife totem
    pole now.

    DarkMatter, Sep 25, 2003
  16. Scott Mitchell

    Codswallop Guest

    What about Full Frame?

    Codswallop, Sep 25, 2003
  17. Scott Mitchell

    Black Locust Guest

    Well said Richard. Simple and to the point.

    Black Locust, Sep 25, 2003
  18. Scott Mitchell

    Black Locust Guest

    You mean movies shot in open-matte? That's certainly more tolerable than
    pan & scan, but still not what the director wanted you to see.

    Black Locust, Sep 25, 2003
  19. What about Full Frame?
    pan & scan, but still not what the director wanted you to see.<

    If the director composed the film for both open matte and widescreen, then and
    only then should the film be offered in both formats on a two-sider. No
    pan-and-scan.

    An example is REAR WINDOW. Hitchcock composed it for both VistaVision and open
    matte, in order to accomodate any theatre where it might be shown. The DVD
    compromises between the two and presents the film in 1:66. A mistake, IMO.
    Both OARs should have been offered on a two-sided disc.

    John Larrabee
    Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
    http://laurelandhardycentral.com

    (To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")

    "Exit, pursued by a bear"

    John Larrabee, Sep 25, 2003
  20. Said the completely mature, adult. You're so goddamn stupid I don't know
    if I'll even be able to stop baiting you. Hahahahaha!!!

    U really R A DIPPSCHITT!

    Ura Dippschitt, Sep 25, 2003