Full-frame sensors can't do wide angle - NOT!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Antonio Cangiano, Sep 22, 2005

  2. David J. Littleboy

    l e o Guest

    l e o, Sep 22, 2005
  3. LOL but true...

    Antonio Cangiano, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Sheesh! The Japanese is easier to read than the 'translation'<g>.

    For example: "But width of the finder beam feeling it is good quickly."

    Should be: 'However, as expected, the viewfinder is wonderful.'

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  5. David J. Littleboy

    l e o Guest

    is that a Sigma lens? Wow... now we can hear more Canon bashers' noise.

    l e o, Sep 22, 2005
  6. The 1Ds and 1Dsmk2 users have been very happy with the Stigma 12-24,
    assuming they get a good copy. The other lens is the widely disparaged Canon
    17-35/2.8 (both the 16-35/2.8 and 17-40/4.0 trounce it in tests), which
    Since (a) it's the only game in town for a real 12mm FOV, and (b) the
    D5/1Ds(2) are the only games in town that actually can use that 12mm FOV,
    there isn't any Canon bashing to be done<g>.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  7. Imagine being given that translation to "brush up", without the
    original. I particularly like the various given names....

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

    Louise Bremner, Sep 22, 2005
  8. "As for intense perspective and angle of view, whichever facing, being
    funny, there is no ginger."

    It may not be translation, but it is poetry...

    David J. Littleboy

    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  9. David J. Littleboy

    Skip M Guest

    Boy, that's some major league distortion in that first one...

    Skip M, Sep 22, 2005
  10. Bwahahahahah.... I didn't even get that far. So in addition to personal
    names, it can't even do simple idioms?
    Yerse.... Tends towards the Vogon, though.

    Louise Bremner, Sep 22, 2005
  11. David J. Littleboy

    Bill Funk Guest

    I've never seen idoms translated well. Do you know a site that does
    idioms well? I'd be interested. :)
    Would "Don't hang a noodle on my ear" translate to "That dog won't
    hunt"?

    Bill Funk, Sep 22, 2005
  12. Uh, no one has ever seen _anything_ translated well _by machine_. (The term
    'idiom' is being used in two senses here. Louise was using it to mean
    "common turns of phrase", where as you were using it to mean "tasty
    phrases". One would hope that a decent MT program would have a reasonably
    large dictionary of common phrases...)
    Dunno. I've been out of the states for 20 years, and haven't heard "Don't
    hang a noodle on my ear" before...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  13. David J. Littleboy

    Bill Funk Guest

    It's Russian. It means roughly the same as "that dog won't hunt", or
    the speaker doesn't believe what's he's being told.
    Like I said, idioms don't traslate well at all.

    Bill Funk, Sep 22, 2005
  14. Dunno what lens was used but If I 'd just paid $5500 AUD for a camera
    and it produced Chromatic Abberation like is in the first photo which
    I'd almost guarantee is from the sensor, not the lens, I'd take it back
    for a refund.

    Pix on Canvas, Sep 22, 2005
  15. David J. Littleboy

    Paul H. Guest

    Paul H., Sep 22, 2005
  16. David J. Littleboy

    Brian Baird Guest

    You're bonkers.

    The first image doesn't have any noticeable CA. IN any case, CA is a
    function of the lens, not the sensor.

    Also, the lens is clearly listed.

    Brian Baird, Sep 22, 2005
  17. David J. Littleboy

    ThomasH Guest

    ThomasH, Sep 23, 2005
  18. image problems, minor.

    dust on the sensor, a lot.

    bob crownfield, Sep 23, 2005
  19. The image is flipping amazing: that's a 12mm lens producing a 12mm FOV. With
    incredible sharpness; images of that FOV and quality have never (other than
    the 1Ds and 1Dsmk2<g>) been even remotely possible before. Sure, there's
    minor 1-pixel infelicities at a couple of high-contrast edges (which may be
    sharpening artifacts), but other than that, it's incredibly sharp and
    detailed. (And the second image is also flipping amazing considering it also
    is an el cheapo lens.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 23, 2005