    digital zoom when camera is set at a lower resolution..

    Makes very little sense to me. Is this fact pretty much across the board?

    thanx

    gt, Dec 23, 2003

  2. gt

    NJH Guest

    Whether the camera is "set at a lower resolution" or not, it will
    necessarily GO to a lower resolution when digital zoom is used. Digital zoom
    works by enlarging a smaller area of the image on the sensor. The more the
    zoom, the smaller the area used, and therefore the lower the true
    resolution. Some cameras inflate this by adding in more pixels (essentially
    by guesswork), but this gives image quality inferior to an optical zoom, and
    the more the digital zoom the worse it gets. This is the "there's no such
    thing as a free lunch" principle at work.

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 23, 2003