Fujifilm S5500 vs. Sony DSC-H1 vs. Kodak DX7590.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mianileng, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. mianileng

    mianileng Guest

    As mentioned in another thread, I'm just starting to venture into the
    world of digital photography. I've outgrown the Fujifilm S3500 I bought
    a month ago (I have a buyer for it) and am trying to decide on an
    upgrade.

    I have a limited budget and a limited choice where I'm from, and have
    tentatively narrowed it down to a Fujifilm S5500 (S5100 in some
    places), a Kodak DX7590 and a Sony DSC-H1. The S5500 and the Kodak are
    used while the Sony is new.

    Average street prices vary widely from country to country, so instead
    of quoting the prices, I'll give them as percentages. The Fujifilm
    S5500 costs about 60% of the price of a new Sony DSC-H1, and the Kodak
    DX7590 costs about 75%.

    Can you please help me decide ? I understand that the matter is highly
    subjective and depends a lot on personal preference and expectations.
    Still, your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

    mianileng, Jan 5, 2006

  2. mianileng

    tnom Guest

    Just bought a DSC-H1. It has image stabilization which makes it
    difficult to take blurry shots even at 12 X and an extremely fast
    shutter lag, .011 second (prefocus). Shutter lag has always been
    a frustration of mine previously, but not with this camera.

    tnom, Jan 5, 2006

  3. mianileng

    ASAAR Guest

    I have no experience with the Kodak and Sony so I can't comment on
    them, but have been using a Fuji S5100 for a bit over a year and
    I've been very pleased with it. If it were lost or stolen, I
    wouldn't hesitate to replace it with either another S5100 or with
    the slightly improved S5200/S5600.

    ASAAR, Jan 5, 2006
  4. mianileng

    imbsysop Guest

    FWIW
    I got the Sony H1 to complement my Canon G6 and this little cam brings fun
    into photography. I've not regretted my purchase for one nanosecond. It
    makes well balanced pictures in alost any situation be it in "automatic" or
    "manual" modes ..
    just MHO

    imbsysop, Jan 6, 2006
  5. mianileng

    ASAAR Guest

    There's a recent thread that dwelled on ways to help take better
    candid shots, camera unobtrusiveness being one of the more important
    factors. Comments from family & friends about pictures I took
    during recent holidays have pretty much convinced me that while a
    decent DSLR would have produced higher quality images (but probably
    not noticeable in relatively small enlargements), smaller cameras
    such as the H1, G6 and the S5100 (it may look like a DSLR but it's
    still very small) make it *much* easier for people to stop paying
    attention to the camera, resulting in a much greater percentage of
    shots that are "keepers". I'd like to add an even smaller camera,
    but will wait for one that's not too much of a compromise.

    ASAAR, Jan 6, 2006
  6. mianileng

    U-Know-Who Guest

    Yep, what he said. I've had mine a few months now, and I love it.

    U-Know-Who, Jan 6, 2006
  7. mianileng

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Mianileng,

    I can appreciate your dilemma, and you are right, it is really a
    personal choice that is the issue. Of course, I work for Kodak and know
    that camera best. I can say that it is really a nice model and it is the
    one I use for much of the work that requires more control. I also use a
    DX6440 which I also like. The features that I prefer in this model are
    flash synch, EVF, and a histogram that helps me get better shots. There
    is a lot more to the camera than those features which are my favorites.
    Check out the following page.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7590

    I also like the way it feels, and how the controls are situated as well
    as the menus. For the price, you can't go wrong.

    Anyway, if you have questions about it or digital imaging, let me know,
    I am glad to share.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 11, 2006