FujiFilm FinePix 3800 erratic exposure problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jerry, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    I bought a FujiFilm FinePix 3800 back in December 2003, and I have
    never gotten consistent exposures. I have tried all available options
    (manual, auto, etc.) with the same unpredictable exposure results. I
    have set it up on a tripod and simply hit the shutter release 10
    times. I get mostly under exposures and an occasional correct
    exposure---but they are all different exposures. Rarely, if ever, do I
    get an overexposure. I have tried hot batteries with no difference. It
    seems to be worse when I use the little built-in flash; so I bought a
    Metz 34 CS-2 supplementary flash. No big change. Yes, I am waiting on
    the ready light between all shots, but it seems to get more consistent
    if I wait a long, long time between shots.

    Is anyone else having this problem? Two friends have the same camera
    and (although none of us is happy with the painfully slow ISO 100
    speed) they do not seem to have the same erratic exposure problem.

    Do I just have a bad camera?

    Thanks.

    Jerry, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Jerry

    MisNomer Guest

    Are you using the AF/AE lock, that is pressing the shutter button down half way
    before actually taking the pics? This sets up the foxus and exposure settings.
    Thats the way it is on my S3000.

    other than that i don't know.

    take care
    Liz

    MisNomer, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Jerry

    dax Guest

    ....are you possibly sometimes covering those three tiny sensor-holes
    with the fingers of your left hand? - Ъ×

    dax, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Jerry,

    I have the 3800. These cameras are notoriously bad in low-light
    situations. Have you noticed if the inconsistent exposures are in
    low-light situations?

    My next camera will definitely have to have the illuminated focus
    sensor.

    Tony

    Antonio L. Balsamo Sr., Feb 18, 2004
  5. I just got a Fujifilm FinePix 3000 and it doesn't seem to share the same
    problem. I have a CoolPix 5700 and wanted a simpler camera for others to
    use, and the 3000 seemed to be the best priced of the lot, even if it uses a
    different media than the 5700. I did notice a flood of 3800's on Ebay, and
    this low light problem has gotten a fair amount of coverage.

    Curtis Crowell, Feb 18, 2004